among the selection criteria are (not in order)
1. size of the resulting serialized string (XML struggles here)
2. availability of libraries in all languages to deal with the serialization format.
3. ability to be transported through traditional logging mechanisms (syslog for example)
4. ability for existing logging tools that can deal with ad-hoc formats to be able to interact with the serialized data
5. human readability of the resulting string
6. ability to represent hierarchical structures.
7. avoiding people saying 'why did you use X' (JSON obviously fails here as well, but it does have a fairly large mindshare)
Copyright © 2017, Eklektix, Inc.
Comments and public postings are copyrighted by their creators.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds