User: Password:
|
|
Subscribe / Log in / New account

The future of unencrypted web traffic

The future of unencrypted web traffic

Posted Jan 3, 2008 15:56 UTC (Thu) by drag (subscriber, #31333)
Parent article: The future of unencrypted web traffic

The real solution is to make it mandatory for ISPs to indicate if they are manipulating
content and what restrictions they are putting on their network connections. (like not giving
you a public IP address, port blocking, content filtering, transparent proxies, P2P
monitoring, etc etc.)

Then make it easier and cheaper to compete by eliminating regional monopolies for phone and
cable providing and releasing restrictions on the use of the radio spectrum for data
transmissions. In addition to releasing these restrictions encourage the growth of
fiber-to-the-home as a municipal service, like sewage or electrical connections. Have cities
hire companies to do the cabling and maintain it, but not provide data services over it. Then
let people pick what ISP they choose to use over the fiber.

All of this together will allow customers to choose between having content filtered and not
and will incourage a massive growth in competition, bandwidth, and drop in the costs
associated with internet access. This would free up resources for VoIP and other stuff
lowering the costs of that also.


All this speak of regulating what ISPs can and cannot do is just going to make problems worse.
This would increase the red tape ISPs go through and all that sort of BS and in addition will
restrict innovation by locking these people into a forced mode of operation. There are plenty
of people that would love to have ISPs filtering out malicious websites and such things, for
example. All that is needed is a way to make it easy for people to know if this sort of thing
is happenning.


(Log in to post comments)

The future of unencrypted web traffic

Posted Jan 4, 2008 18:28 UTC (Fri) by giraffedata (subscriber, #1954) [Link]

I completely agree with all of this -- we should retain our right to negotiate whatever service we want with our ISPs. If the ISP offers crappy service and a low price, I should be able to buy that. I also would rather see the government own the network outright than tell the putative owners how to operate it (i.e. commandeer it).

But, sadly, I'm sure this means that the kind of service people are asking for here would not exist. There just aren't enough of us who care about unmolested web pages, privacy, RFC compliance, transparent channels, and such to create a market. ISPs will offer an extremely limited service that fits the needs of 95% of their home customers and the other 5% won't be able to afford what they want.

What people crying for encryption and regulation want is to stifle their competition -- other consumers. When my neighbors aren't able to get their crappy restricted, low-price service, they will instead demand the higher service level I want and the volume will bring my price down.


Copyright © 2017, Eklektix, Inc.
Comments and public postings are copyrighted by their creators.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds