|| ||David Relson <relson-AT-osagesoftware.com>|
|| ||bogofilter-0.92.6 - new current release|
|| ||Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:44:27 -0400|
Bogofilter is a mail filter that classifies email as spam or ham
(non-spam) by a statistical analysis of the message's header and content
(body). The program is able to learn from the user's classifications
The statistical technique is known as the Bayesian technique and its use
for spam was described by Paul Graham in his article "A Plan For Spam".
Gary Robinson, in his weblog Rants, suggests some refinements for
improved discrimination between spam and ham. Bogofilter's primary
algorithm uses the f(w) parameter and the Fisher inverse chi-square
technique that he describes.
Bogofilter is run by an MDA script to classify an incoming message as
spam or ham (using wordlists stored by BerkeleyDB). Bogofilter provides
processing for plain text and html, supports multi-part mime message
with decoding of base64, quoted-printable, and uuencoded text and
ignores attachments, such as images.
Bogofilter is written in C. Supported platforms: Linux, FreeBSD,
Solaris, OS X, HP-UX, AIX, RISC-OS, OS/2, ...
******* ******* ******* ******* *******
Bogofilter-0.92.6 cleans up minor issues with bogofilter's documentation
and adds a "-QQ" option to display all the options that can be used in
the config file. See the BOGOFILTER NEWS (below) for all the changes
since bogofilter-0.92.4 - the last stable release.
Files are available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/bogofilter for
Here are the md5sums for the release:
Caution: If upgrading from an old version and skipping several
intervening versions of bogofilter, be smart and verify that the new
version is working for you before putting it into production.
Bogofilter's developers recommend that you run a few manual command
line tests. Use options, config files, and wordlists from your
production environment. This will help ensure that the new version of
bogofilter is working properly.
* Revise "-QQ" output so it can be used (unchanged) in a config file.
* Remove obsolete "--with-db" option from configure.ac
* Improve documentation of '-B' and '-y' options.
* Validate dates used with '-y'.
* Diagnose missing wordlist specification.
* Cross reference man pages to one another.
* Expanded discussion of long options in bogofilter's man page.
* Added "-QQ" option to bogofilter to display extended parameter list.
* OS/2 compatibility changes (contributed by Yuri Dario).
* Removed obsolete test output files - combined.out, separate.out, and
* Documentation update. Sample configure commands now use
option --with-libdb-prefix rather than obsolete --with-db.
* Added "--wordlist" to bogofilter's help output.
* Minor clean-ups for bogofilter's help output.
* Merged files RELEASE.NOTES-0.1? into cumulative RELEASE.NOTES file.
* Removed files CHANGES-0.1? as they duplicate info in NEWS.
0.92.4 2004-07-29 - Stable Release
to post comments)