Version 0.7.1 of the
Omni printer driver
has been released by the IBM
Linux Technology Center.
"The Omni printer driver provides support for over 400 printers using the Ghostscript framework. In addition, it provides a model for dynamically loading printer drivers, creating new devices by editing device description files, and simplifies new printer driver development by allowing for the subclassing of previous device features."
This version has a long list of new features including:
- A new GhostScript patch.
- Better Foomatic entry generation to support the Linuxprinting.org printer database.
- Improved support for gcc.
- Updated CUPSToOmni support.
- New job properties: Copy, Collation, Destination, Stapling, Jogging, Duplex, Booklet, NUp, and Scaling.
- Epson PDC Blitter support for a number of printers.
- Initial XMLDevice support for using XML files directly.
- A large number of bug fixes.
Printing has long been a weak point in Unix-based systems, and it
is critical to both server and desktop systems. The Omni project and
appear to be making real progress in this area.
See the Omni
ChangeLog file for the complete project history.
to post comments)