|| ||"Feldman, Scott" <scott.feldman-AT-intel.com>|
|| ||[RFC] Wireless extensions rethink|
|| ||Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:33:10 -0700|
Jeff suggested in an earlier post that there is an opportunity to
totally rethink the wireless extensions now that we have wireless-2.6.
Let's get rid of the iotcl and /proc interfaces as Jeff suggests:
1) iw_handler API goes away and is replaced by struct
net_device::wireless_ops (ala ethtool_ops).
2) sysfs get/set mapping for wireless_ops.
3) iw_statistics just becomes one of the wireless_ops.
4) Remove /proc/net/wireless support from wireless.c. (Already
have sysfs support for the same :)
5) No private handler support. If you need private support,
pass it in some other way (custom sysfs of modparam). Or,
better yet, make a case that others could benefit and move
into wireless_ops as standard.
6) Convert drivers from iw_handler and iw_statistics to
7) Rewrite iw* tools to use sysfs interface rather than ioctl.
8) [Optional] Remove iotcl interface. May want to keep for
backward compat with legacy tools? Easy to map between
ioctl and wireless_ops in wireless.c.
9) [Open] What to do about wireless events? Any ideas?
Proposed sysfs layout:
| |-- beacon
| |-- crypt
| `-- ...
Is someone already working on this???
to post comments)