Printing a Linux Nightmare
Posted Feb 27, 2004 1:38 UTC (Fri) by hijab
In reply to: Printing a Linux Nightmare
Parent article: The Luxury of Ignorance: An Open-Source Horror Story (catb.org)
I don't understand some of my friends. Many of them use Fedora/Redhat/etc
and I hear stories like this about Samba, CUPS, etc..Yet they swear they
will never use SUSE because of some horror story they've had.
I've maintained 50 SUSE desktops (8.2 and 9.0 currently) and 2 SUSE
servers for about 4 years now. My experience with printing: lpr was a
nightmare, lprng was somewhat better, but when SUSE's implementation of
CUPS arrived, it was like a breath of fresh air. Everything worked.
Printing queues are set on the server,the clients just listen to the
server, so no reconfig for them when modifying/adding a printer. Of
course, I don't know maybe SUSE added some magic (YAST) that makes CUPS
work (it was even able to read the manufacturer's printer pdd file off
the CD-ROM), but it works and it works well.
BTW, we use KDEprint all the time (even in non-KDE apps), but I never was
confronted with a CUPS password or needed one, although I did have to add
cupsd:localhost to the hosts.allow file at one point.
Nobody says I have to use SUSE, nobody says I have to use Samba, nobody
says I have to use CUPS. I have other things to do with my life, I don't
want to constantly tinker with my systems.
I find the consistency of KDE so appealing that I use konqueror more than
99% of the time, maybe mozilla the other 1%. I understand ESR's
frustration; but, surely, having built his own masterpieces, he can
appreciate the value of software like Samba and CUPS.
Yes, perhaps the UI for CUPS is not ready for Aunt Tillie, but it sure is
usable by me, and hence by the 300-odd people who rely on my systems.
In case this needs to be said: Thank you CUPS for an outstanding piece of
to post comments)