Not logged in
Log in now
Create an account
Subscribe to LWN
Deadline scheduling: coming soon?
LWN.net Weekly Edition for November 27, 2013
ACPI for ARM?
LWN.net Weekly Edition for November 21, 2013
GNU virtual private Ethernet
There is actually no doubt in my mind that that would be a *huge* improvement.
"Hey buddy, wanna be a Congressman?"
Security quotes of the week
Posted Jun 12, 2013 0:14 UTC (Wed) by neilbrown (subscriber, #359)
But didn't Arthur C Clarke already have that idea?
Posted Jun 12, 2013 3:08 UTC (Wed) by raven667 (subscriber, #5198)
Posted Jun 12, 2013 10:27 UTC (Wed) by jezuch (subscriber, #52988)
It was Philip K. Dick: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Lottery
Posted Jun 12, 2013 12:47 UTC (Wed) by Cyberax (✭ supporter ✭, #52523)
Another similar idea is to randomly promote people within a company. Turns out it's the best overall strategy :)
Posted Jun 12, 2013 14:51 UTC (Wed) by apoelstra (subscriber, #75205)
I just finished reading 'The Trouble With Physics' by Lee Smolin. As an illustration of the importance of pursuing many research directions, he claimed that it had been proven that for any local hill-climbing strategy, there exist search spaces for which that strategy is no better than a random walk.
Perhaps that's what you are referring to. (Or maybe you were just kidding :))
Posted Jun 12, 2013 14:56 UTC (Wed) by Cyberax (✭ supporter ✭, #52523)
But I was specifically talking about this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/nov/01/random-pr...
Posted Jun 13, 2013 10:50 UTC (Thu) by farnz (guest, #17727)
It goes back a lot further than that - it was a feature of ancient Athenian democracy. Specifically, 90% of the democratically elected officials were chosen by random chance - only the remaining 10% were elected.
It could be interesting to reintroduce in a lighter form to the US Senate - imagine if one of the two seats for each state was filled at random from the pool of eligible voters who also meet the requirements for being a senator...
Posted Jun 13, 2013 12:53 UTC (Thu) by phred14 (guest, #60633)
Posted Jun 14, 2013 2:36 UTC (Fri) by mathstuf (subscriber, #69389)
Posted Jun 14, 2013 3:49 UTC (Fri) by neilbrown (subscriber, #359)
Yes, that's the one I was thinking of - thanks.
Copyright © 2013, Eklektix, Inc.
Comments and public postings are copyrighted by their creators.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds