Crowding out OpenBSD
Posted Nov 15, 2012 14:27 UTC (Thu) by khim
In reply to: Crowding out OpenBSD
Parent article: Crowding out OpenBSD
So we agree that for 99% of programs, the tool I'm asking for makes sense?
I think you both are mixing issues. My own experience is radically different: for 99% of programs full portability is a pipe dream (think getopt: pretty popular tool on *nix, but problematic if you need to support Windows, too - you either need to provide your own implementation bundled with your program or use some third-party package, etc).
What is possible is to write, say, 90% of program in a fully-portable way, cover the remaining 10% with portability layer and keep 1% as a system-specific code surrounded by ifdefs.
Sadly even if for typical program just 1-2% code must be system-specific these pieces impose insane amount of maintenance work - significantly more then 1-2%. And then the obvious answer is to use OpenSSH approach (born by OpenBSD, ironically enough): just cover your primary platform and don't think about portability. If someone wants to have portable version - they can do it as a patches on top of clean-yet-unportable code.
to post comments)