Linus has already noted the right solution: one can't just throw out possible cpu execution resources. We've been through this before. For the masses, a reliable and predictable scheduler is far better than one that makes 99% of things run a touch faster, but hoses the remaining 1% -- eventually it snags some major oft-used package. The other proposed ideas in the article seem crazy. Leave the fine scheduler tuning for shops that need to squeeze out the last few percent for a dedicated work load.