Updates and an announcement from LWN
Posted Jul 5, 2012 10:48 UTC (Thu) by Tobu
Parent article: Updates and an announcement from LWN
Great news that we'll have even more contributions on kernel-related topics, you make complex subjects accessible.
If a refreshed look is in the cards, here are a few ideas:
- Collapsible subthreads, like on Reddit (notice the [-] symbol to the top left of each comment). This will make huge threads more manageable, by allowing the reader to collapse less interesting subthreads (including flamewars if we still have them).
- Make all article titles links. I notice this is now the case inside the weekly edition, but not on the front page and not on the articles themselves. This would improve consistency, reduce the need to look for the comments link, and provide a cleaner permalink without the #Comments fragment.
- Markdown support. An improvement only useful for active commenters, but it would make me happy. Markdown is terse, convenient, easy to learn and compatible both with html and existing text conventions.
- Responsive design and multi-column text to improve readability on large monitors. Of course you may find other uses for the extra screen space, like moving some of the navigation to the sides when the screen is wide enough.
- A new or refreshed logo. The current logo introduces a green color not used anywhere else in the site palette.
to post comments)