|| ||Dmitry Monakhov <firstname.lastname@example.org> |
|| ||email@example.com |
|| ||[PATCH 0/5] RFC: introduce extended inode owner identifier v9 |
|| ||Thu, 21 Jun 2012 13:08:48 +0400|
Dmitry Monakhov <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|| ||Article, Thread
Hi, I've updated old standing project quota id patch-set.
Please take a look at it and replay me your oppinion, especially if you
do not like it by some reason :) This is really important because i do
want this feature to be merged sooner or later.
1) Inode may has a project identifier which has same meaning as uid/gid.
2) In general case Id is stored in inode's xattr named "system.project_id"
NOTE: by historical reasons XFS has speciffic API,
3) Id is inherent from parent inode on creation.
4) This id is cached in memory fs_inode structure and may be accessible
via s_op->get_prjid(). This field it restricted by CONFIG_PROJECT_ID.
So no wasting of memory happens.
5) Since id is cached in memory it may be used for different purposes
5A) Implement additional quota id space orthogonal to uid/gid. This is
useful in managing quota for some filesystem hierarchy(chroot or
container over bindmount)
*User interface *
Project id is managed via generic xattr interface "system.project_id"
This good because
1) We may use already existing interface.
2) xattr already supported by generic utilities tar/rsync and etc
PATCH SET TOC:
1) generic projectid support
2) generic project quota support
3) ext4: small mount flags cleanup
4) ext4 project support implementation
4A) ext4: generic project support
4B) ext4: project quota support
NOTE:Ext4 quota is now managed via e2fsprogs, changes which add prjquota suppport for
e2fsprogs will be submitted as separate patch-set.
5) XFS: prjquota and grpquota may coexist now
Patch against next-20120605-1-g20a6ee4
Actually vfs part is really small, and most changes happen in ext4-tree
Changes against V7
- Small fix for project switch error path
- Remove usless macro expressions
Changes against v6
- get rid of iattr stuff, current __dquot_transfer() provides sane interface
for quota manipulation. i_prjid can must be changed only by fs-speciffic
methods so only get() method is really necessery.
- remove #ifdef tricks from generic code.
- move i_prjid from vfs_inode to fs_inode, to prevent inode bloating.
- get rid of isolation logic, because this feature confuse most users.
Changes against v5
- convert dquota_transfer to struct iattr interface. Not it is possible
to change i_prjid via notify_changes()
- some bugfixes.
Signed-off-by: Dmitry Monakhov <email@example.com>
Makefile | 2 +-
1 files changed, 1 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
index 0d718ed..8dbcc39 100644
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@ VERSION = 3
PATCHLEVEL = 5
SUBLEVEL = 0
EXTRAVERSION = -rc1
-NAME = Saber-toothed Squirrel
+NAME = Saber-toothed Squirrel-tree-quota
# To see a list of typical targets execute "make help"
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ext4" in
the body of a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html