My problems with mtpfs, which may have been addressed in the year or so since I switch to syncing my Xoom tablet over my WiFi network, were: (a) it would get very slow and use a lot of memory when transferring large numbers of files, e.g. my music collection; and (b) due to the media-centric nature of the protocol, files wouldn't always end up where I put them. Copy a music file into a specific directory, look at the directory--it's empty. Instead, the file shows up classified by its tags under a different directory entirely.
I fixed the second issue for myself by editing mtpfs and simply stripping out all the media type detection code, so that everything was treated as a normal file. That's probably not a general solution, though.