> Shuttleworth is being a total idiot in this case.
s/in this case//
I honestly can't think of anything sensible Shuttleworth has ever done for OSS.
- He keeps shipping patched versions of tons of software (X11, GTK+ and others) in order to integrate functionality like indicators, utouch, unity and whatnot, instead of working constructively with upstream developers
- He deliberately keeps Upstart incompatible with systemd (e. g. socket activation scheme)
- He "works" on completely useless stuff like putting the window buttons on the left or redesigning the scrollbars, as if anybody cared about this kind of crap
- He supports crap like cloud computing (Ubuntu One), which is essentially about getting control over the users' data
- He develops and encourages the use of proprietary software
- He hails Mac OS X (made by Apple, a company that is all about building gilded cages) as a model for the Linux desktop
- He even ran a propaganda campaign for copyright assignments (yes, the FSF requires those too, but they're a charity dedicated to free software, not a profit-oriented company like Canonical)
This guy needs a serious beating with a cluebat. He isn't just completely and utterly worthless for the OSS community, he's downright harmful.