|| ||Antonio Diaz Diaz <ant_diaz-AT-teleline.es> |
|| ||info-gnu-AT-gnu.org |
|| ||Version 1.6 of GNU ed released |
|| ||Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:18:39 +0100|
|| ||bug-directory-AT-fsf.org, bug-ed-AT-gnu.org|
|| ||Article, Thread
I am pleased to announce the release of GNU ed 1.6.
GNU ed is an 8-bit clean, more or less POSIX-compliant implementation of
the standard Unix line editor.
The homepage is at http://www.gnu.org/software/ed/ed.html
The sources can be downloaded from http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/ed/
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/ed/ or from your favorite GNU
This version is also available in lzip format. If your distro doesn't
yet distribute the lzip program, you can download it from
The md5sums are:
This release is also GPG signed. You can download the signature by
appending ".sig" to the URL.
Changes in version 1.6:
* Displaying of null characters by the "l" command has been fixed.
* The condition deciding when to show the message "Newline appended"
has been corrected.
* The "modified" flag is now set when reading a non-empty file into
an empty buffer.
* An error that prevented using NUL characters in regular expressions
has been fixed.
* Ed now signals an error if it can't create a shell process when
executing a shell command.
* Ed now flushes stdout/stderr before reading a new command.
* Man page is now generated with "help2man". All command-line options
are now documented in the man page.
* The copyright notices of Andrew L. Moore have been restored. It
seems Andrew granted some permissions but never assigned copyright to
Please send bug reports and suggestions to email@example.com
If you are packaging ed for a distribution, please, try to use the
lzipped source tarball, as this can improve the support for the lzip
format in packaging systems. Thanks.
Antonio Diaz, GNU ed maintainer.
GNU Announcement mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
to post comments)