|| ||Amit Shah <firstname.lastname@example.org> |
|| ||Virtualization List <email@example.com> |
|| ||[PATCH v5 00/11] virtio: s4 support |
|| ||Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:15:46 +0530|
|| ||Rusty Russell <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
"Michael S. Tsirkin" <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Amit Shah <email@example.com>|
|| ||Article, Thread
These patches add support for S4 to virtio (pci) and all drivers.
Michael saw some race in virtio-net module removal which will need a
similar fix for the freeze code as well. I'll update the virtio-net
patch with that fix once the fix is settled upon and applied.
For each driver, all vqs are removed before hibernation, and then
re-created after restore. Some driver-specific uninit and init work
is also done in the freeze and restore functions.
All the drivers in testing work fine:
* virtio-blk is used for the only disk in the VM, IO works fine before
and after. 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/bigfile bs=1024 count=200000'
across S4 gives same sha1sum for the file in the guest as well as
one that's created without invoking S4.
* virtio-console: port IO keeps working fine before and after.
* If a port is waiting for data from the host (blocking read(2)
call), this works fine in both the cases: host-side connection is
available or unavailable after resume. In case the host-side
connection isn't available, the blocking call is terminated. If
it is available, the call continues to remain in blocked state
till further data arrives.
* virtio-net: ping remains active across S4.
* virtio-balloon: Works fine before and after. Forgets the ballooned
value across S4 (see details in commit log). Maintains ballooned
value on failed freeze.
All of these tests are run in parallel.
- Enable virtio device after the driver-specific restore/thaw
callbacks are completed.
- Balloon: Don't exit kthread on freeze. It's already frozen by the
PM API before invoking the freeze callback, so exiting is pointless.
- Disable / enable napi across S4 (Michael S. Tsirkin)
- Balloon: lots of improvements (I had neglected this driver thinking
it was a simple one, but this one needed the most thought! Check
the commit log for patch 12 for details.)
- Net, Blk: Reset device as the first operation on freeze
- Reset vqs before deleting them (Sasha Levin)
- Flush block queue before freeze (Rusty)
- Detach netdev before freeze (Michael S. Tsirkin)
- fix checkpatch errors/warnings
Amit Shah (11):
virtio: pci: switch to new PM API
virtio: pci: add PM notification handlers for restore, freeze, thaw,
virtio: console: Move vq and vq buf removal into separate functions
virtio: console: Add freeze and restore handlers to support S4
virtio: blk: Move vq initialization to separate function
virtio: blk: Add freeze, restore handlers to support S4
virtio: net: Move vq initialization into separate function
virtio: net: Move vq and vq buf removal into separate function
virtio: net: Add freeze, restore handlers to support S4
virtio: balloon: Move vq initialization into separate function
virtio: balloon: Add freeze, restore handlers to support S4
drivers/block/virtio_blk.c | 57 ++++++++++++++++--
drivers/char/virtio_console.c | 126 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
drivers/net/virtio_net.c | 102 +++++++++++++++++++++++--------
drivers/virtio/virtio_balloon.c | 95 ++++++++++++++++++++++++------
drivers/virtio/virtio_pci.c | 106 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
include/linux/virtio.h | 5 ++
6 files changed, 410 insertions(+), 81 deletions(-)
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/