Earlier this year, Linux Mint seemed to have two choices: Stay close to Ubuntu and take on the Unity desktop, or move to GNOME 3.0. Rather than choose between two immature desktops, Mint chose to stand pat on GNOME 2.32. This time around, Mint is taking a different approach, taming GNOME 3.2 for Mint users and planning to offer a legacy version of GNOME as well.
Mint project lead Clement Lefebvre has been fairly quiet about desktop plans for releases after Mint 11. On Friday November 4th, Lefebvre finally took the wraps off the plans for Linux Mint 12. Despite the Ubuntu-based heritage of Mint, it looks like the team is sticking with GNOME over Unity.
GNOME 2 vs. GNOME 3
Lefebvre said that Mint would like to keep GNOME 2.32 "a little
longer," but "we need to look forward and embrace new
technologies." He said that GNOME 3.x is "a fantastic desktop" that's getting better with each release. Eventually, Lefebvre said, "we'll be able to do much more with it than was possible with the traditional desktop." Eventually, but not today.
In the meantime, Lefebvre's plan is to ship GNOME 3.2 and MATE, which is
a continuation
of GNOME 2.32 that is currently packaged for Arch
Linux. One problem, though, is that MATE has naming conflicts with
GNOME 3.x, which Lefebvre said the Mint team is "working hard in
collaboration with the MATE developers to identify and fix these conflicts
so that we can have both Gnome 3 and MATE installed by default on the DVD
edition of Linux Mint 12." Unfortunately, there's precious little information online about MATE, but you can find Debian-ized packages for MATE on GitHub. In the comments to the post about Mint 12, Lefebvre also directs interested parties to the #MATE channel on Freenode.
So, if all goes well, users will have a familiar GNOME 2.32-ish desktop to use. More adventurous users, though, can opt for Mint's take on GNOME 3.2. This GNOME is not what you'd see with Fedora 16 or openSUSE 12.1, though. Lefebvre said that they've put together a "desktop layer" that hammers GNOME 3.2 into a traditional desktop if users want that:
We've been using application menus, window lists and other traditional desktop features for as far as I can remember. It looked different in KDE, Xfce, or even Windows and Mac OS, but it was similar. Gnome 3 is changing all that and is developing a better way for us to interact with our computer. From our point of view here at Linux Mint, we're not sure they're right, and we're not sure they're wrong either. What we're sure of, is that if people aren't given the choice they will be frustrated and our vision of an Operating System is that your computer should work for you and make you feel comfortable. So with this in mind, Gnome 3 in Linux Mint 12 needs to let you interact with your computer in two different ways: the traditional way, and the new way, and it's up to you to decide which way you want to use.
For this, we developed "MGSE" (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions), which is a desktop layer on top of Gnome 3 that makes it possible for you to use Gnome 3 in a traditional way. You can disable all components within MGSE to get a pure Gnome 3 experience, or you can enable all of them to get a Gnome 3 desktop that is similar to what you've been using before. Of course you can also pick and only enable the components you like to design your own desktop.
Unfortunately, there's not a lot that Mint can do about GNOME 3's other major drawback — 3D acceleration required. Lefebvre said that Mint 12 will allow running GNOME 3.2 in Virtualbox if you have video acceleration enabled, but otherwise, you're stuck with the fallback mode. Users can also choose the MATE desktop.
So, in the end, users should have three options with Mint's main release: GNOME 3.2, GNOME 3.2 with Mint's extensions, or MATE as a GNOME 2.x replacement.
Ubuntu users' pain is Mint's gain
According to Lefebvre, Mint saw a "40% increase in a single month" and he claims that Mint is quickly catching up with Ubuntu for the top spot in the Linux desktop market and fourth overall for desktop operating systems.
There's little doubt that Mint saw a big jump in users following the
Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 11.04 releases. Linux users around the world made
their unhappiness with GNOME 3.0 and Unity widely known. If you consider
DistroWatch's rankings to be accurate, consider that Linux Mint is
currently in the top spot (for the six-month ranking). Ubuntu hasn't been
displaced from that spot for years.
Unfortunately, like Ubuntu, Mint doesn't actually publish hard
numbers. Occasionally Canonical cites a hard number (most recently 20
million), but doesn't provide anything the public can verify. (Unlike Fedora and openSUSE, which
provide statistics based on the number of unique IPs that connect to their
update servers.) So Mint appears to be doing well lately, but how well we
don't really
know.
With so many users, though, Mint may want to do a bit more to publicize its
security fixes and explain its security policy. Trying to find a
coherent policy about security updates on the Linux Mint website is an
exercise in futility. In addition, Mint doesn't have mailing lists, so no
security
list exists. Since many of Mint's packages are taken directly from
Ubuntu, and use Ubuntu's repositories, users will get security updates
when Ubuntu's users do for those packages. But for Mint-specific packages,
it's unclear what the policies are.
Search revenue
Another interesting development with this release is Lefebvre's announcement that Mint will be trying to go beyond user donations and extract revenue out of searches.
Mint has always shipped an add-on that "enhances" search results given
by Google in Firefox. With any luck that's going away, since the default
pages produced by Mint were, shall we say, less than optimal. However,
Mint may be limiting user choice when it comes to search engines out of
the box. Lefebvre said:
Our goal is to give users a good search experience while funding ourselves
by receiving a share of [search] income. Search engines who do not share
the income generated by our users, are removed from Linux Mint and might
get their ads blocked.
Exactly how Mint will be blocking ads is not explained — and Lefebvre hasn't yet responded to our questions about the plans to block ads in Mint 12 — or whether this might influence the browsers shipped with Mint 12. A preview to Mint's partnerships with browser vendors might be found in the updated Opera 11.52 package for Linux Mint, which seems to be aimed at demonstrating the size of Mint's user base.
It's not entirely surprising that Mint is looking to go beyond what
users contribute directly. Lefebvre writes that "we're in a difficult
situation financially" because the project is only generating income
via donors. Despite having "millions" of users, the September stats show the
project raising
about $5,600 from 316 donors.
Timeline
If the timeline put forward by Lefebvre holds, then Mint should ship its first RC for Mint 12 by November 11th and a final release around November 20th. Lefebvre said that the GNOME 3.x stuff is "fully ready and fully functional" with just a few minor bugs. The MATE packages may need more work, though, and negotiations with browser vendors may mean some search engines are not included in the RC.
As a project that was caught between the GNOME Shell and Unity
conflicts, Mint seems to have not only weathered the desktop turbulence but
emerged better for it. By catering to what the existing audience wants,
Mint has grown its user base considerably. Whether the project can now turn
that into a reliable source of revenue and continue that growth is another
question entirely.
(
Log in to post comments)