> everything that uses the ati driver supports KMS now, modulo bugs
Like the intel driver supports i855? modulo the bugs that made it completely lock up at random moments in recent versions of the driver (2.10 version appears stable, wont try anything newer now that I have a working setup again).
Then again, I have no ATI display adapter use experience. So it just might be the only video driver that never hangs, shows corrupted textures, has problems resuming from suspend, etc when used with too old or new hardware variants...
The too old/too new issue is also with driver versions.
1. Report a bug on driver X.
2. "Thats too old, it might be fixed in the git head"
3. compile, try, hit another issue
4. "you are running it on too old kernel, upgrade to latest kernel from the drm tree"
5. compile, try, hit some other bugs
6. "you are running the developer versions of kernel and graphics driver, of course there are some bugs."
I'm not criticizing the driver developers. There is just too few dedicated and active X driver developers compared to the amount of hardware variants that needs supporting and the complexity of graphics driver development...