Not logged in
Log in now
Create an account
Subscribe to LWN
Pencil, Pencil, and Pencil
Dividing the Linux desktop
LWN.net Weekly Edition for June 13, 2013
A report from pgCon 2013
Little things that matter in language design
MeeGo: open development and upstream involvement
Posted Apr 29, 2010 7:59 UTC (Thu) by klaasjan (guest, #5492)
Posted Apr 29, 2010 10:49 UTC (Thu) by daenzer (✭ supporter ✭, #7050)
* 2G connection 24/7, but never used for internet access. Only very rare and short phone calls.
* WiFi connection at least 12h / day, with Jabber and Skype accounts active.
* Occasional SMS / instant messaging.
* Checking for and installing package updates every day.
From what I've read, the worst power wasters seem to be:
* Anything that keeps the CPU out of sleep / low power states for significant fractions of the time, e.g.
- badly programmed desktop widgets (I only have the calendar, conversations and OMWeather widgets on my home desktop) or generally apps
- playing videos or music, in particular with not yet well-optimized codecs such as Vorbis
- certain bugs, e.g. https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6868
* 3G radio, in particular for internet access and in particular with some things like Mail for Exchange.
Hope this helps.
Posted Jul 4, 2010 20:54 UTC (Sun) by oak (guest, #2786)
Copyright © 2013, Eklektix, Inc.
Comments and public postings are copyrighted by their creators.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds