|| ||Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar-AT-freenet.de> |
|| ||sawfish-list-AT-gnome.org, gnome-accounce-AT-gnome.org |
|| ||[ANNOUNCE] Sawfish 1.6.2 "Mighty Disco King" |
|| ||Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:06:50 +0100|
|| ||Article, Thread
the SawfishCrew presents you:
Sawfish 1.6.2 "Mighty Disco King"
the second maintainance release of the 1.6 series.
WTF is Sawfish?
Sawfish is an extensible window manager using a Lisp-based scripting language. Its
policy is very minimal compared to most window managers. Its aim is simply to manage
windows in the most flexible and attractive manner possible. All high-level WM
functions are implemented in Lisp for future extensibility or redefinition.
These are some of the features that set Sawfish apart from other window managers:
* Powerful key-binding: Virtually every functionality provided by Sawfish can be
bound to keys (or mouse buttons).
* Event hooking: For many events (moving windows etc.) you can customize the way
Sawfish will respond.
* Window matching: When windows are created you can match them to a set of rules and
automatically perform actions on them.
* Flexible theming: Sawfish allows for very different themes to be created and a
variety of third-party themes are readily available.
Sawfish was formerly known as Sawmill but then renamed to Sawfish due to pending
patents on the name Sawmill. It's original Author is John Harper who got employed by
Apple which prohibited him to continue working on Sawfish (and librep/rep-gtk). In
Mid 2007 Janek 'The Re-Animator' Kozicki overtook the development of Sawfish. In Mid
2008 Christopher 'Flashrider' Bratusek overtook development of librep and rep-gtk,
followed by Sawfish and SawfishPager in December 2008. This fact was also one of the
real reasons why MetaCity became GNOMEs default windowmanager, among all that FUD
that was spread later (and is still).
Homepage & Resources
Our Homepage is a Wiki, so you can improve it. Also if you have themes, screenshots,
scripts, snippets or patches to contribute, simply upload them to the corresponding
section. URL: http://sawfish.wikia.com/
Well currently the resources are split up:
Bugtracker: librep/rep-gtk/sawfish: GNOME / sawfish-pager: none
Mailinglist: sawfish-list on GNOME
Homepage: sawfish on Wikia
IRC: sawfish on Freenode
GIT: librep/rep-gtk/sawfish: GNOME / sawfish-pager: Tuxfamily
* from this release on we provide Tar/BZ2 and Tar/XZ tarballs
* Tar/XZ is ~30% smaller but not all distros shipp the decompression utils
* Moreover all downloads moved from SF to Tuxfamily, caused by the idiotic US laws
* which caused SF to deny access from several "evil" countries. Tuxfamily is a french
* service -> therefore we are "save" here.
Tar/BZ2: http://download.tuxfamily.org/sawfish/sawfish/sawfish-1.6... 3,54 MB
Tar/XZ : http://download.tuxfamily.org/sawfish/sawfish/sawfish-1.6... 2,37 MB
1.6.2 "Mighty Disco King"
* The 1.6.2 release has some improvements.
- Application menu is more robust now. [Matthew Love,
Application menu, introduced in 1.6.0, made Sawfish crash if
`*.desktop' file had a malformed key value (say ; as first
character or # somewhere inside), or it was unreadable. It is
- Minor fix of window placement by direction [Teika kazura]
When the window placement mode is for example `east' and the
window is wider than the screen, then the window was put
wrongly. It is fixed.
* New features
- New command `maximize-discard' [Teika kazura]
The command `maximize-discard' stops a maximized window to be
treated as maximized any more, so that you can move and
resize the window.
The functinon `maximize-discard' has existed, and now it's
- New command `jump-or-exec' [Christopher Bratusek]
The user uploaded module "jump-or-exec" has been merged. It
provides `jump-or-exec', a command which may be used to focus
a window, or if it does not exist, start the application.
Unlike the original version this one also supports matching a
window by its class (returned by `window-class' function),
which makes it more flexible for applications like music
player or browsers, which tend to change their WM_NAME
For usage, see `lisp/sawfish/wm/commands/jump-or-exec.jl'
- Improved ebuild and specfile [Christopher Bratusek] [Kim B.
- Updated documentation [Christopher Bratusek] [Teika Kazura]
- Removed `frame-style-editable-p' and all other remaining
sawfish-themer fragments, as it's dead. [Christopher Bratusek]
random prolinux.de fortune:
Re: Recht hat der Mann
Gesendet von Geek am Di, 30. Jun um 12:55
Stallmann ist einfach nur penetrat, ungepflegt und dick. RMS - Nein, Danke.
Re: Recht hat der Mann
Gesendet von TherealPartykracher am Di, 30. Jun um 12:57
Niemand hat gesagt, dass du mit RMS ins Bett steigen sollst
(er wäscht sich seine Füße nicht sagt man), seine Aussage zählt
hier und die ist in meinen Augen vollkommen korrekt.
gnome-announce-list mailing list
to post comments)