|| ||Jürgen Spitzmüller <juergen-AT-spitzmueller.org> |
|| ||LyX Devel <lyx-devel-AT-lists.lyx.org>,
LyX User <lyx-users-AT-lists.lyx.org>,
|| ||[ANNOUNCE] LyX 1.6.5 is released |
|| ||Mon, 7 Dec 2009 07:49:36 +0100|
|| ||Article, Thread
Public release of LyX version 1.6.5
We are pleased to announce the release of LyX 1.6.5. This is the fifth
maintenance release in the 1.6.x series.
The release comes with many fixes and improvements. A number of newly
reported crashes were fixed, new layouts and modules were included and
some long-standing requests were implemented (e.g., a working LyX
server on the Windows OS, finally enabling the communication with other
applications such as JabRef on this platform as well).
A detailed list of changes is appended below, remaining known problems
are listed in the file RELEASE-NOTES.
All users and distributors are encouraged to upgrade to this version.
In case you are wondering what LyX is, here is what
http://www.lyx.org/ has to say on the subject:
LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing
based on the structure of your documents, not their appearance. It
is released under a Free Software/Open Source license.
LyX is for people that write and want their writing to look great,
right out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting
details, 'finger painting' font attributes or futzing around with
page boundaries. You just write. In the background, Prof. Knuth's
legendary TeX typesetting engine makes you look good.
On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output --
or richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced -- looks
like nothing else. Gone are the days of industrially bland .docs,
all looking similarly not-quite-right, yet coming out unpredictably
different on different printer drivers. Gone are the crashes
'eating' your dissertation the evening before going to press.
LyX is stable and fully featured. It is a multi-platform, fully
internationalized application running natively on Unix/Linux, the
Macintosh and modern Windows platforms.
You can download LyX 1.6.5 here (the .bz2 are compressed with bzip2,
which yields smaller files):
and it should propagate shortly to the following mirrors (which will
also host the .bz2 versions):
Prebuilt binaries (rpms for Linux distributions, Mac OS X and Windows
installers) should soon be available at:
If you already have the sources of the previous release (220.127.116.11), you may
want to apply one of the following patches instead:
If you find what you think is a bug in LyX 1.6.5, you may either
e-mail the LyX developers' mailing list (lyx-devel <at> lists.lyx.org),
or open a bug report at http://www.lyx.org/trac/
If you're having trouble using the new version of LyX, or have a
question, first check out http://www.lyx.org/help/. If you can't find
the answer there, e-mail the LyX users' list (lyx-users <at> lists.lyx.org).
The LyX team.
What's new in version 1.6.5?
* DOCUMENT INPUT/OUTPUT
- Add support for Extended Greek characters (bug 4997).
- Support GraphicsMagic when ImageMagick is not found (bug 6056).
- New layout files for Inderscience journals (bug 6293).
- New layout files for the document classes tufte-book and tufte-handout.
- New layout files and templates for Springer's svmono and svmult document
classes (bug 6253).
- Add support for jmakeindex (Japanese version of makeindex).
* USER INTERFACE
- The LyX server is now available also on Windows. See Chapter 4 in the
Additional Features manual for how to enable it.
- Paragraph ends can now be marked by a pilcrow character (bug 6129).
- A "Reload" menu item is added to the Graphics context menu to
manually force a reload and conversion of the image (bug 6134).
- Handle LFUN_FONT_UNDERLINE in mathed too (bug 2045).
- Emergency file can be deleted after use (bug 2120).
- The size of previews (InstantPreview) can now be specified in the
LyX preferences (bug 6176).
- Include new modules to do equation/figure/table numbering sectionwise.
These modules are now used in the AMS classes instead of the previous
preamble hardcoding (bug 6123).
- Include new modules for more control over theorem numbering (bug 5880).
- It is now configurable whether each tab has an own close button
- New LFUN inset-select-all allows to select the whole content of
an inset (bug 5991).
- SVN support: synchronization for whole directories (bug 6255).
- Complete tooltips in Spellchecker preferences (bug 6185).
- Add tooltips in the Math Options section of the Document Settings
* DOCUMENTATION AND LOCALIZATION
- New template file "svjour3.lyx" for article submissions
to journals published by the Springer group.
- New Slovak translation of the Splash manual.
- New Chinese translations of the LyX Intro and Tutorial.
- New French translations of the XY-pic manual, the powerdot example
document, the linguistics manual and the seminar example document.
- Revised French translations of the example_raw and example_lyxified
- Updated French manual how to write Braille with LyX.
- Updated French Intro manual.
- Revised appendix A of the Math manual.
- Revised English LyX Tutorial.
- Revised English, French and German template for 20 min. Beamer
- Demonstrate the use of fragile frames in the Beamer example document.
- Updated LyX User's Guide.
- Clarify usage of layout tags No_Emph, etc. in the Customization manual
- Updated Simplified Chinese, Czech, French, German, Indonesian, Italian,
Japanese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish and Ukrainian user interface
** Bug fixes:
* DOCUMENT INPUT/OUTPUT
- Do an emergency save if LyX attempts to destroy a dirty document buffer.
This is a last resort to try to avoid data loss.
- Fix a tex2lyx crash when importing a LaTeX file using an unknown
encoding (bug 6142).
- Fix a crash when no external templates are defined (bug 3974).
- Fix a crash when loading a document that specifies mutltiple labels
for an equation (bug 5968).
- Fix crash when moving down with the cursor in a Unit inset (bug 6351).
- Fix infinite loop when reading Mac-formatted layout files (bug 3605).
- When using the PDF-Pages external inset, copy the included PDF file to
the temporary directory, where LaTeX searches it (bug 6345).
- Add encoding "ansinew" as a synonym of "cp1252" for the benefit of
tex2lyx (bug 6142).
- Fix support for optional argument of \bibitem in tex2lyx (bug 6249).
- Fix (again!) reading of default modules by tex2lyx (part of bug 5702).
- Fix reading of caption texts, which got broken in 1.6.4 (bug 6276).
- Fix support for polytonic Greek with multiple diacritics (bug 5976).
- Assure the author name is encoded correctly in the LaTeX output of
change tracking markup (bug 6225).
- Remove the last '\\' in the output of multiline equations. This caused
labels to appear twice (bug 2969).
- Put "|" characters in index entries in ERT when converting old documents
to LyX 1.6.x format, to assure the character is treated verbatim
- Properly reset the stream encoding after an environment in order to
match the required file encoding when exporting to LaTeX (bug 6216).
- Fixed layout file for the document class svjour3 (bug 6198).
- Add support for \specialsection in amsart layout; improve on-screen
appearance of headings.
- Added the separator style to the layout file for the document class
elsarticle and adapted the elsarticle.lyx template file accordingly
- Correctly distinguish warnings from errors when using teTeX with
file:line:error style (bug 6258).
- When including a child document whose language is different from
the master document language, restore the master language at the
end of the child rather than the child language.
- Set the correct document language when importing TeX files.
- Set the correct style for the quotes when importing TeX files which
use the new German spelling.
- Do not eat blanks at the beginning of inserted text in change tracking
mode's PDF output (bug 6282).
- Include packages for commands used within a \boxed (bug 6297).
- Close font-changing commands before a program listing.
- Ouput empty cells in a matrix with vertical lines. Omitting these
empty cells caused gaps to appear in the vertical lines (bug 6310).
- Fix counters in powerdot layout.
* USER INTERFACE
- Fix crash when finishing certain math macros such as \frac or font
changing commands (bug 6110).
- Fix crash when undoing changes to an unknown math macro name such that
the macro becomes a known user-defined macro (bug 6208).
- Fix a crash when searching for a string that is found in a table,
while the cursor is in math (bug 6112).
- Fix a crash when closing a window after a document was opened
multiple times and each time a new window was opened (bug 6188).
- Fix a crash when navigating to a child's heading with the outliner after
the child was reloaded (bug 6233).
- Fix a crash when navigating to a label in a child document (bug 6252).
- Fix a crash when trying to launch the settings dialog of an unknown
external inset (bug 6259).
- Fix crash when copying a math inset containing a non-ascii character
which is missing a LaTeX command representation in the unicodesymbols
file (bug 6250).
- Fix a crash when leaving an empty superscript or subscript (bug 6193).
- Fix an infinite loop when selecting multiple displayed equation right
after each other with LFUN_SCREEN_UP (bug 6237).
- Fix a crash when pressing PageUp in an empty document (bug 6327).
- Fix crash with autosave on Mac OS X 10.6 (bug 6168).
- Fix a number of assertions when displaying error messages (bug 6205).
- Fix assertion when clicking on left side of inset in RTL text
- Fix bad allocation exception when displaying long tooltips (bug 6215).
- Fix shadowing of user-defined math macros by internal ones and make
LyX behave as LaTeX, i.e., user macros take precedence (bug 5530).
- Fix width definition in the box dialog after a box inset was transformed
from "Inner Box" type "None" to "Parbox" or "Minipage" (bug 6298).
- Fixed problem involving inability to turn off auto-save (bug 6227).
- Sort document classes case insensitively (bug 1492).
- Fix wrong cursor position in RTL text (bug 6161).
- Disable to insert floats into another float when this is not allowed
- Disable the float positioning dialog for subfloats (bug 6125).
- Do not close the cross references dialog when selecting an item from the
list (UNIX only; bug 6204).
- The menu item "Close Tab Group" is renamed to "Close Current View" to
better relate this to the action "Split View ..." (bug 5067).
- Fix a bug that the keymap settings in the Preferences dialog could
not be deleted (bug 6119).
- Fix a number of small issues regarding menu items and menu shortcuts
- Fix a bug that it was possible to request the wrong context menu
by moving the mouse during the right-click (bug 5796).
- Fix the painting of RTL text. All rows except the last one of a
paragraph were painted slightly too far to the left (bug 3997).
- Fix the \kern primitive in mathed (bug 6246).
- When pressing <del> at the end of a math formula, do not remove
label or numbering when selection is set (bug 6273).
- Fix Ctrl-Shift-Tab shortcut for tabs (bug 6194).
- When starting LyX, open each document in a new view when "Open documents
in tabs" is unchecked (bug 4906).
- Fix the location of context menus requested by the menu key (bug 6108).
- Fix undo of removed script in mathed when both super- and subscript
are present (bug 6264).
- Fix parsing of selection when used as argument of a math macro
- Fix inset-[begin|end][-select] when the cursor is at the beginning or
end of a paragraph.
- If a static EndLabelString is defined in a layout file it is now
correctly displayed on screen (bug 2972).
- Do not remember documents for next startup when closing a window
but not closing LyX.
- Fix the painting of the last character of a paragraph, e.g.
added/deleted paragraph breaks in change tracking.
- Do not swallow spaces after a LaTeX macro appearing in text mode
inside mathed (bug 6284).
- Show the correct context menu for insets nested in closed insets
that are opened by the navigate or search functionality (bug 6820).
- Fix the positioning of the cursor in some cases with mixed RTL
and LTR text (bug 5061).
- Set the correct language after dissolving an inset, which could have
given strange effects especially when dissolving an ERT (bug 6292).
- Fix the appearance of the combo boxes in the Text Style dialog
- Fix double blinking cursors in Graphics/Nomenclature dialogs (bug 3852).
- Fix display of e-mail addresses in the About LyX dialog.
- In the Linguistics module, do not switch to the buffer language in
glosses (this was only a cosmetic issue in the LyX window).
- Allow PgUp and PgDown to position the cursor on the first or last row.
- Dissolve the caption when unsetting a longtable caption row (bug 5754),
and when converting a longtable into a normal table.
- Move the contents of a table row into the caption when setting the row
as a longtable caption row.
- Correctly position the cursor after pasting to a multi-cell math inset
* DOCUMENTATION AND LOCALIZATION
- Fix the compilation of the example file powerdot-example.lyx with
recent versions of the LaTeX package powerdot.
- The internal boost libraries have been updated to version 1.40. Now
LyX builds with gcc 4.4 without the need to use --without-included-boost.
- Clarify that we require automake 1.8 (this was already the case, but
nobody noticed). Accept autoconf 2.64 (bug 6352).
- Fix buglet in configure script with recent bash versions.
- The script ext_copy.py can now also copy files in subdirectories.
(useful for external converters)
to post comments)