|| ||"Sousou, Imad" <imad.sousou-AT-intel.com> |
|| ||"lwn-AT-lwn.net" <lwn-AT-lwn.net> |
|| ||FW: Moblin v2.1 project release for netbooks and nettops - it's here |
|| ||Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:39:18 -0700|
|| ||Article, Thread
From: Sousou, Imad
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:31 PM
Subject: Moblin v2.1 project release for netbooks and nettops - it's here
Moblin v2.1 project release for netbooks and nettops - it's here
The Moblin(tm) project steering committee today announces the project release of Moblin v2.1 for
Intel Atom* processor-based netbooks and nettops. This project release includes the broadest
feature additions, customer requested improvements, and overall polish to date. With this community
release you will see significant feature additions and improvements including enhanced browser
functionality and plug-in support, UI enhancements, support for 3G data connections, Bluetooth*
device management, input method support for localized languages, integrated application installer
for the Moblin Garage, performance and stability improvements, and additional overall help and
Download<http://moblin.org/downloads> the Moblin v2.1 netbook and nettop image and experience the
release for yourself, or watch the Moblin overview
video<http://moblin.org/documentation/moblin-overview/moblin-in...>, or take a look at the
Moblin v2.1 Feature Summary
In addition to the various new features, this new version of Moblin includes several hundred bug
fixes and incorporates feedback from users and the developer community. Much polish and performance
improvement was accomplished within this release from the Moblin developers. New features in Moblin
v2.1 for netbooks and nettops include:
* New Internet Browser. After much work, we are including a new internet browser application
that far exceeds our previous browser performance and adds full support for features such as
plug-in support and add-ons. Many thanks to Moblin users and the developer community for their
feedback and contributions.
* 3G Data Support. Support for 3G data connections using the Ericsson* MBM 3G modems. Support
for additional 3G modems is planned for future releases.
* Application Installer Integration. The Moblin Application Installer is integrated and
provides a logically categorized list of applications that you can choose to install. The selection
of applications that appears within the Moblin Application Installer comes from the Moblin
* Clutter 1.0. With this new version of Moblin, we are releasing Clutter 1.0, the Moblin
* Bluetooth* Device Support. Bluetooth* device discovery and pairing now supported via a new
panel in the toolbar, which supports Bluetooth* audio devices, input devices (keyboards, mice),
OBEX file transfer, and using a Bluetooth* phone as a 3G modem.
* Connection Manager. Connection Manager (ConnMan) has significant modifications particularly
in the areas of performance and reliability. The new version of ConnMan now supports Ethernet,
WiFi, WiMAX, and 3G.
* Nettop Support. UI scaling is provided for a wide range of nettop resolutions, including
the ability to show more information in the Myzone panel based on the available screen space.
* Improvements to Instant Messaging. Improvements have been included for Instant Messaging
account setup, integration within the connection manager, and support for transparent connection to
your friends on your local network.
* Input Method Support. Input method support is now included across the system.
* Localization. Moblin is currently localized in the following languages (English, Brazilian
Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Finnish, Korean, Japanese, Chinese Simplified,
Chinese Traditional). We also have a community translation project<http://translate.moblin.org>
where Moblin is translated to additional languages by the community.
* In addition, Moblin v2.1 includes several updated versions of key technology components
that the Moblin developers worked on with the various communities; these include the Linux kernel
version 2.6.31, Intel Linux graphics driver 2.9, X server 1.6.4, and Mesa 7.6. We are also
providing updated documentation, sample code and updates to the Moblin SDK. Detailed Moblin UX help
documentation is included in multiple languages along with updated Moblin SDK documentation and
Share your experience with us through bugzilla<https://bugzilla.moblin.org> or the developer
Moblin images require an Intel Atom* processor-based netbook or nettop. For more specific system
requirements and information on the tested platforms see the Moblin v2.1 netbook/nettop release
Moblin Steering Committee
and Director of Intel Open Source Technology Center
to post comments)