|| ||Phil Longstaff <plongstaff-AT-rogers.com> |
|| ||gnucash-announce-AT-gnucash.org |
|| ||Gnucash 2.3.7 released |
|| ||Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:43:58 -0400|
|| ||Users MailingList GnuCash <gnucash-user-AT-gnucash.org>,
Gnucash list <gnucash-devel-AT-lists.gnucash.org>|
|| ||Article, Thread
Announcement: GnuCash 2.3.7 Release
GnuCash 2.3.7 released
The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.3.7, the eighth of
several unstable 2.3.x releases of the GnuCash Free Accounting Software which
will eventually lead to the stable version 2.4.0. With this new release
series, GnuCash can use an SQL database using SQLite3, MySQL or PostgreSQL. It
runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Microsoft Windows and Mac OSX. This release
is intended for developers and testers who want to help tracking down all
those bugs that are still in there.
WARNING WARNING WARNING - Make sure you make backups of any files used in
testing versions of GnuCash in the 2.3.x series. Although the developers go to
great lengths to ensure that no data will be lost we cannot guarantee that
your data will not be affected if for some reason GnuCash crashes in testing
NOTE: This is an *UNSTABLE* version of Gnucash. The latest stable version is
PLEASE TEST TEST AND TEST SOME MORE any and all features important to you.
Then post any bugs you find to bugzilla
Major changes in the 2.3.x release include;
* In addition to the XML backend, Gnucash can now use a SQLite3, MySQL or
PostgreSQL database to store the data. This is a new implementation using
libdbi. It supports all features including the business features. In order to
build with this, add --enable-dbi to the configure command. In addition to the
libdbi-dev package foryour distribution, you will also need the appropriate
DBD (libdbi driver) package for sqlite3, mysql or postgresql.
* In addition to the current GtkHTML HTML engine used to display reports and
graphs, Gnucash can use WebKit. WebKit is the engine used by Google Chrome on
Windows and Safari on Apple. In order to build with this, add --with-html-
engine=webkit to the configure command. You will need an appropriate webkit-
dev package. On win32, you wil lneed to download the webkit-1.1.5-win32.zip
file from the source repository and put it into the downloads directory of your
gnucash build area.
* Updated to AqBanking 3 on Win32.
Changes between 2.3.6 and 2.3.7 include:
* Revert changes which caused gnucash to crash on startup on windows
* More recent version of gmp on win32
* Postgresql binary package on win32 now includes msvcr71.dll
* Fix compiler warnings. Patch by Colin Law
* Fix for balance column displayed in template register
* Update of Polish translation by Jacek Baszkiewicz
Caveats for Testers
* Any 2.3.x version might crash unexpectedly at any point during runtime. If
you test some serious work in a 2.3.x release and are using the XML file
backend for data storage, make sure you hit "Save" after every non-trivial
work step. If you are using the SQL backend, this is not required as every
change is saved immediately to the database.
* The documentation has had screenshots updated, however, many help texts
usually only refers to the 1.8.x series. Everyone is invited to help improve
the documentation; see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development on how to get
How can you help?
* Testing: Test it and help us discover all bugs that might show up in there.
Please enter each and every bug into bugzilla.
* Translating: The new release comes with some new translation strings. If you
consider contributing a translation, we invite you to test this release
already. A string freeze will be announced in one of the later 2.3.x releases.
Please check http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation_Status for updates on
We would like to encourage people to test this and any further releases as
much as possible and submit bug reports in order that we can polish GnuCash to
be as stable as possible for the 2.4.0 release in a few weeks. Then post any
bugs you find to http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash
* Source code for GnuCash 2.3.7 can be downloaded from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files under "gnucash (unstable)".
* To install GnuCash, users will need Gnome 2, guile, slib and swig.
* Win32 binary - The Gnucash 2.3.7 Win32 setup executable can be downloaded
from https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files. Look under "gnucash
About the Program
GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU
General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac
OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and its first
stable release was in 1998.
to post comments)