OK, I'll bite. Sides of this issue you might not be considering
Posted Aug 27, 2009 22:45 UTC (Thu) by BrucePerens
In reply to: OK, I'll bite. Sides of this issue you might not be considering
Parent article: FSF to host a mini-summit on Women in Free Software
I resent them too. Vendors trying to lure me in by my gonads.
* Upskirt photos on Planet blog aggregators
Ugh. Go ahead and make noise.
* Blowjob-related ads in Linux publications
Is this "Do you suck at coding", or something else?
* Not having our experiences believed
Oh, I believe you. The folks I don't believe are the troop of men here telling me what you think. Maybe it would be better if some of you stuck with LWN instead of being on some girrls-only list. If you want to be believed, being there counts.
* Being asked to explain things over and over again and STILL not being believed
Unless you're telling me there aren't any early-childhood or nature issues in the mix as well, there is not a lack-of-belief issue here.
* Being asked "A/S/L" or having pics demanded of us
It sounds really raw. I do admit to having been discouraged to find that purportedly female project participants were really men. But I don't want to ask them A/S/L to establish that.
* Out-of-band communications of an inappropriate personal nature
I'm assuming this means on IRC. Really bad.
* Death threats
I get them too. What are these folks objecting to? Just your presence? Are they really project participants? I see some people whose job or obsession is to demotivate us and aren't really project participants.
* Accusations of reverse sexism when we ask people to avoid the above
You are not being sexist with me at all as far as I'm aware. But what do I do when someone is?
It can happen, you know, and right now I'm damned if I do, and damned if I do not.
to post comments)