|| ||Chong Yidong <cyd-AT-stupidchicken.com> |
|| ||emacs-devel-AT-gnu.org |
|| ||Emacs 23.1 released |
|| ||Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:01:22 -0400|
|| ||Article, Thread
GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released. It is available on the GNU ftp site
at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/. See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a
list of mirrors.
The MD5 check-sums for the tarballs are:
Here are some new features of Emacs 23. See etc/NEWS for a complete
- Improved Unicode support (the internal character representation is
now based on UTF-8).
- Font rendering with Fontconfig and Xft.
- Support for using X displays and text terminals in one session,
and for running as a daemon.
- Smarter minibuffer completion.
- Per-buffer text scaling.
- Directory-local variables.
- New packages for:
* viewing PDF and postscript files (Doc view mode)
* connecting to processes via D-Bus (dbus)
* using the GNU Privacy Guard (EasyPG)
* displaying line numbers in the fringe (Linum mode)
* editing XML documents with on-the-fly validation (nXML mode)
* editing Ruby programs (Ruby mode)
* display-based word wrapping (Visual Line mode)
Please send bug reports to email@example.com. You can use the
function M-x report-emacs-bug to do this. Mac OS X users should note
that the Carbon port has been removed; see the file nextstep/README for
information about the new Cocoa port.
Many thanks to the rest of the Emacs development team for their hard
work; and to the numerous users who contributed suggestions and bug
reports. Happy hacking.
to post comments)