|| ||Willie Walker <William.Walker-AT-Sun.COM> |
|| ||gnome-announce-list-AT-gnome.org |
|| ||Announcing Orca v2.27.5 |
|| ||Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:29:29 -0400|
|| ||Article, Thread
* What is Orca?
Orca is a free, open source, flexible, and extensible screen reader
that provides access to the graphical desktop via user-customizable
combinations of speech, braille, and/or magnification. Orca
development has been led by the Sun Microsystems, Inc., Accessibility
Program Office via continued engagement with its end users and
generous contributions from the Mozilla Foundation and wonderful
You can read more about Orca at http://live.gnome.org/Orca.
* What's changed for Orca v2.27.5?
LOTS of stuff. Please read the following carefully.
2.27.5 - 27-Jul-2009
* Migrated to GtkBuilder (bgo#582506 and bgo#589362)
* Fix for bgo#434600 - cursor routing keys cannot be used to position
caret at end of line
* Re-fix for bgo#568696 - locus of focus changes when updating list of
files in nautilus
* Work on bgo#575784 - accented characters are not echoed correctly.
Orca now has two new checkboxes on the "Key Echo" tab of the
preferences UI. The first, "Enable non-spacing diacritical keys",
specifies whether dead keys are echoed or not. The second, "Enable
echo by character", specifies if the exact character typed in an
editable text area is to be spoken. This differs from the "Enable
alphanumeric and punctuation keys" setting in that it echos the
characters that are typed vs. the keys that were pressed. If both
are enabled, preference is given to character echo where it applies.
* Fix for bgo#578106 - Gtk Warning on starting Orca Preferences GUI
* Fix for bgo#585049 - When I select paragraphs with Ctrl+Shift+Down
key combination, Orca says incorrect information message
* Fix for bgo#585417 - Allow pauses to be inserted in speech output
* Fix for bgo#585948 - Automatic position index spoken request. Orca
now has a "Speak child position" on the "Speech" tab in the
preferences UI. When selected, Orca will speak the child position
(e.g., 'item 6 of 7') of various objects.
* Fix for bgo#588471 - Orca's clicking functionality should click on
the locusOfFocus when not in flat review
* Fix for bgo#588774 - Tooltips aren't always presented
* Fix for bgo#589244 - Remove libgail-gnome usage, use gail in gtk+
* Fix for bgo#589497 - orca shouldn't speak entering / leaving flat
review mode when verbosity is set to brief
* Fix for bgo#589504 - Orca double speaks typed characters when input
method is enabled
* Fix for bgo#480883 - Braille navigation on Webpages. The pan left
and pan right buttons on the braille display should now allow you to
scroll through the page content in linear order.
* Fix for bgo#586399 - Orca should provide support/access to "Mouse
Overs" in web content. See the following message for a complete
* Fix for bgo#588910 - Orca should support the spellcheck as you go in
* Fix for bgo#589455 - Can not activate links with structural
New and updated translations (THANKS EVERYONE!!!):
es Spanish Francisco Javier Dorado Martinez
fr French Claude Paroz
* Where can I get it?
You can obtain Orca v2.27.5 in source code form at the following:
The Orca Team
gnome-announce-list mailing list
to post comments)