|| ||Phil Longstaff <plongstaff-AT-rogers.com> |
|| ||gnucash-announce-AT-gnucash.org, gnucash-devel-AT-gnucash.org,
|| ||Gnucash 2.3.3 released |
|| ||Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:03:03 -0400|
|| ||Article, Thread
Announcement: GnuCash 3.3.3 Release
GnuCash 2.3.3 released
The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.3.3, the fourth of
several unstable 2.3.x releases of the GnuCash Free Accounting Software which
will eventually lead to the stable version 2.4.0. With this new release
series, GnuCash can use an SQL database using SQLite3, MySQL or PostgreSQL. It
runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Microsoft Windows and Mac OSX. This release
is intended for developers and testers who want to help tracking down all
those bugs that are still in there.
WARNING WARNING WARNING - Make sure you make backups of any files used in
testing versions of GnuCash in the 2.3.x series. Although the developers go to
great lengths to ensure that no data will be lost we cannot guarantee that
your data will not be affected if for some reason GnuCash crashes in testing
PLEASE TEST TEST AND TEST SOME MORE any and all features important to you.
Then post any bugs you find to bugzilla
Major changes in the 2.3.x release include;
* In addition to the XML backend, Gnucash can now use a SQLite3, MySQL or
PostgreSQL database tostore the data. This is a new implementation using
libdbi. It supports all features including the business features. In order to
build with this, add --enable-dbi to the configure command. In addition to the
libdbi-dev package for your distribution, you will also need the appropriate
DBD (libdbi driver) package for sqlite3, mysql or postgresql.
* In addition to the current GtkHTML HTML engine used to display reports and
graphs, Gnucash canuse WebKit. WebKit is the engine used by Google Chrome on
Windows and Safari on Apple. In order to build with this, add --enable-webkit
to the configure command. You will need an appropriate webkit-dev package. On
win32, you will need to download the webkit-1.1.5-win32.zip file from the
source repository and put it into the downloads directory of your gnucash
* Updated to AqBanking 3 on Win32.
Changes between 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 include:
* Fix crash for "save as" if sqlite3 backend not available.
* Updated Korean translation by yongdoria
* If a report defines style-text, that text will be added to the report header
* Add new stylesheet to provide css information. Allows users to specify
* Update CSS style sheet to use font buttons rather than strings.
* Patch by Jim Raehl Fix bug 587853/585939. When parsing file: or xml: handle
file: or file://, xml: or xml://
* Patch by John Ralls. Adjust configure.in for Mac compilation with Quartz.
* Patch by John Ralls. Provides (and installs when appropriate) a special
gnucash-setup-env for OSX.
* Patch by John Ralls. Permits binreloc to work from inside a MacOSX
* Patch by John Ralls. Integrates the gnucash menus into the MacOSX menubar.
* Fix bug 588212 ? PgSql: Pop-up dialog for overwriting db contents even for
* Fix bug 587436 ? Make Bayesian Matching ON by default
* Fix bug 363339 ? Exclude hidden accounts from reports. New check box added
* Fix up some more reports to use cell tags which allow CSS style font usage
* Add Korean translation of account charts by Jin-Hwan Jeong.
* Fix bug 585899 - environment variable GNC_DEFAULT_DATABASE can be used to
set the default database name in the Save As dialog
Caveats for Testers
* Any 2.3.x version might crash unexpectedly at any point during runtime. If
you test some serious work in a 2.3.x release and are using the XML file
backend for data storage, make sure you hit "Save" after every non-trivial
workstep. If you are using the SQL backend, this is not required as every
change is saved immediately to the database.
* The documentation has had screenshots updated, however, many help texts
usually only refers to the 1.8.x series. Everyone is invited to help improve
the documentation; see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development on how to get
How can you help?
* Testing: Test it and help us discover all bugs that might show up in there.
Please enter each and every bug into bugzilla.
* Translating: The new release comes with some new translation strings. If you
consider contributing a translation, we invite you to test this release
already. A string freeze will be announced in one of the later 2.3.x releases.
Please check http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation_Status for updates on
We would like to encourage people to test this and any further releases as
much as possible andsubmit bug reports in order that we can polish GnuCash to
be as stable as possible for the 2.4.0 release in a few weeks. Then post any
bugs you find to http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash
* GnuCash 2.3.3 can be downloaded from www.gnucash.org. It is available as
source code. It is not yet available on SourceForge.
* To install GnuCash, users will need Gnome 2, guile, slib and swig.
* The Gnucash 2.3.3 Win32 setup executable can be downloaded from
About the Program
* GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU
General Public License(GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac
OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and its first
stable release was in 1998.
gnucash-user mailing list
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
to post comments)