|| ||Jonathan Lange <jml-AT-mumak.net> |
|| ||Bazaar <bazaar-AT-lists.canonical.com>,
Bazaar Announce <bazaar-announce-AT-lists.canonical.com> |
|| ||bzr 1.17 released! |
|| ||Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:21:11 +1000|
|| ||python-announce-list-AT-python.org, bug-directory-AT-gnu.org, info-gnu-AT-gnu.org|
|| ||Article, Thread
Bazaar continues to blaze a straight and shining path to the 2.0 release and
the elevation of the ``2a`` beta format to the full glory of "supported and
Highlights in this release include greatly reduced memory consumption during
commits, faster ``ls``, faster ``annotate``, faster network operations if
you're specifying a revision number and the final destruction of those
annoying progress bar artifacts.
The Bazaar team is happy to announce availability of a new release of
the bzr adaptive version control system. Bazaar is part of the GNU
Thanks to everyone who contributed patches, suggestions, and feedback.
Bazaar is now available for download from
http://bazaar-vcs.org/Download as a source tarball; packages for
various systems will be available soon.
Changes from 1.17rc1 to 1.17final
* Change an extension to call the python ``frozenset()`` rather than the C
api ``PyFrozenSet_New``. It turns out that python2.4 did not expose the
C api. (John Arbash Meinel, #399366)
* Fixes for the Makefile and the rename of ``generate_docs.py`` to
``tools/generate_docs.py`` to allow everything to be built on Windows.
(John Arbash Meinel, #399356)
* ``bzr serve`` once again applies a ``ChrootServer`` to the given
directory before serving it. (Andrew Bennetts, #400535)
* ``bzr register-branch`` from the Launchpad plugin now refers to "project"
instead of "product" which is the correct Launchpad terminology. The
--product option is deprecated and users should switch to using --project.
(Neil Martinsen-Burrell, #238764)
* ``bzr push`` now aborts if uncommitted changes (including pending merges)
are present in the working tree (if one is present) and no revision is
speified. The configuration option ``push_strict`` can be used to set the
default for this behavior. (Vincent Ladeuil, #284038, #322808, #65286)
* ``bzr revno`` and ``bzr revision-info`` now have a ``--tree`` option to
show revision info for the working tree instead of the branch.
(Matthew Fuller, John Arbash Meinel)
* ``bzr send`` now aborts if uncommitted changes (including pending merges)
are present in the working tree and no revision is specified. The
configuration option ``send_strict`` can be used to set the default for this
(Vincent Ladeuil, #206577)
* ``bzr switch --create-branch/-b`` can now be used to create and switch
to a new branch. Supplying a name without a ``/`` will create the branch
relative to the existing branch. (similar to how ``bzr switch name``
works when the branch already exists.) (John Arbash Meinel)
* Accept uppercase "Y/N" to prompts such as from break lock.
(#335182, Tim Powell, Martin Pool)
* Add documentation about diverged branches and how to fix them in the
centralized workflow with local commits. Mention ``bzr help
diverged-branches`` when a push fails because the branches have
diverged. (Neil Martinsen-Burrell, #269477)
* Annotate would sometimes 'latch on' to trivial lines, causing important
lines to be incorrectly annotated. (John Arbash Meinel, #387952)
* Automatic format upgrades triggered by default stacking policies on a
1.16rc1 (or later) smart server work again.
(Andrew Bennetts, #388675)
* Avoid progress bar artifacts being left behind on the screen.
(Martin Pool, #321935)
* Better message in ``bzr split`` error suggesting a rich root format.
(Neil Martinsen-Burrell, #220067)
* ``Branch.set_append_revisions_only`` now works with branches on a smart
server. (Andrew Bennetts, #365865)
* By default, ``bzr branch`` will fail if the target directory exists, but
does not already have a control directory. The flag ``--use-existing-dir``
will allow operation to proceed. (Alexander Belchenko, #307554)
* ``bzr ls DIR --from-root`` now shows only things in DIR, not everything.
* Fetch between repositories does not error if they have inconsistent data
that should be irrelevant to the fetch operation. (Aaron Bentley)
* Fix ``AttributeError`` exception when reconfiguring lightweight checkout
of a remote repository.
(Jelmer Vernooij, #332194)
* Fix bug in decoding v3 smart server messages when receiving multiple
lots of excess bytes after an end-of-message.
* Force deletion of readonly files during merge, update and other tree
(Craig Hewetson, Martin Pool, #218206)
* Force socket shutdown in threaded http test servers to avoid client hangs
(pycurl). (Vincent Ladeuil, #383920).
* ``LRUCache`` will maintain the linked list pointers even if a nodes
cleanup function raises an exception. (John Arbash Meinel, #396838)
* Progress bars are now suppressed again when the environment variable
``BZR_PROGRESS_BAR`` is set to ``none``.
(Martin Pool, #339385)
* Reduced memory consumption during ``bzr commit`` of large files. For
pre 2a formats, should be down to ~3x the size of a file.
For ``--2a`` format repositories, it is down to the size of the file
content plus the size of the compressed text. Related to bug #109114.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* Set hidden attribute on .bzr directory below unicode path should never
fail with error. The operation should succeed even if bzr unable to set
the attribute. (Alexander Belchenko, related to bug #335362).
* Stacking will no longer accept requests to stack on the same
branch/repository. Existing branches that incorrectly reference the same
repository in a stacking configuration will now raise
UnstackableLocationError when the branch is opened. This can be fixed by
removing the stacking location inside ``.bzr/branch``.
(Robert Collins, #376243)
* The ``log+`` decorator, useful in debugging or profiling, could cause
"AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'next'". This is now
fixed. The log decorator no longer shows the elapsed time or transfer
rate because they're available in the log prefixes and the transport
activity display respectively.
(Martin Pool, #340347)
* Unshelve works correctly when multiple zero-length files are present on
the shelf. (Aaron Bentley, #363444)
* Progress bars no longer show the network transport scheme or direction.
* launchpad-login now respects the 'verbose' option.
(Jonathan Lange, #217031)
* ``bzrlib.user_encoding`` is now officially deprecated. It is not
possible to write a deprecation wrapper, but the variable will be
removed in the near future. Use ``bzrlib.osutils.get_user_encoding()``
instead. (Alexander Belchenko)
* Command lookup has had hooks added. ``bzrlib.Command.hooks`` has
three new hook points: ``get_command``, ``get_missing_command`` and
``list_commands``, which allow just-in-time command name provision
rather than requiring all command names be known a-priori.
* ``get_app_path`` from win32utils.py now supports REG_EXPAND_SZ data type
and can read path to wordpad.exe. (Alexander Belchenko, #392046)
* ``graph.KnownGraph`` has been added. This is a class that can give
answers to ``heads()`` very quickly. However, it has the assumption that
the whole graph has already been loaded. This is true during
``annotate`` so it is used there with good success (as much as 2x faster
for files with long ancestry and 'cherrypicked' changes.)
(John Arbash Meinel, Vincent Ladeuil)
* OS file locks are now taken out using ``CreateFile`` rather than
``LockFileEx`` on Windows. The locking remains exclusive with
``LockFileEx`` but now it also works on older versions of Windows (such
as Win98). (Martin <gzlist>)
* pack <=> pack fetching is now done via a ``PackStreamSource`` rather
than the ``Packer`` code. The user visible change is that we now
properly fetch the minimum number of texts for non-smart fetching.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* ``VersionedFiles._add_text`` is a new api that lets us insert text into
the repository as a single string, rather than a list of lines. This can
improve memory overhead and performance of committing large files.
(Currently a private api, used only by commit). (John Arbash Meinel)
* ``bzr annotate`` can now be significantly faster. The time for
``bzr annotate NEWS`` is down to 7s from 22s in 1.16. Files with long
histories and lots of 'duplicate insertions' will be improved more than
others. (John Arbash Meinel, Vincent Ladeuil)
* ``bzr ls`` is now faster. On OpenOffice.org, the time drops from 2.4
to 1.1 seconds. The improvement for ``bzr ls -r-1`` is more
substantial dropping from 54.3 to 1.1 seconds. (Ian Clatworthy)
* Improve "Path(s) are not versioned" error reporting for some commands.
* Initial commit performance in ``--2a`` repositories has been improved by
making it cheaper to build the initial CHKMap. (John Arbash Meinel)
* Resolving a revno to a revision id on a branch accessed via ``bzr://``
or ``bzr+ssh://`` is now much faster and involves no VFS operations.
This speeds up commands like ``bzr pull -r 123``. (Andrew Bennetts)
* ``revision-info`` now properly aligns the revnos/revids in the output
and doesn't traceback when given revisions not in the current branch.
Performance is also significantly improved when requesting multiple revs
at once. (Matthew Fuller, John Arbash Meinel)
* Tildes are no longer escaped by Transports. (Andy Kilner)
* Avoid bad text wrapping in generated documentation. Slightly better
formatting in the user reference.
(Martin Pool, #249908)
* Minor clarifications to the help for End-Of-Line conversions.
* Removed overspecific error class ``InvalidProgressBarType``.
* The method ``ProgressView._show_transport_activity`` is now
``show_transport_activity`` because it's part of the contract between
this class and the UI. (Martin Pool)
Support the Python Software Foundation:
to post comments)