|| ||Andrew Stormont <andyjstormont-AT-googlemail.com> |
|| ||gnusol-devel-AT-lists.sonic.net, gnusol-users-AT-lists.sonic.net,
xubuntu-devel-AT-lists.ubuntu.com, opensolaris-discuss@ |
|| ||StormOS Beta ISO out |
|| ||Fri, 5 Jun 2009 18:02:00 +0200|
|| ||Article, Thread
The StormOS Hail Beta ISO has now been released and is available for
download immediately, grab it here <http://stormos.org/node/59>.
StormOS is the first desktop distribution based on Nexenta Core Platform 2
which combines the power of the Solaris kernel with the ease of use of
Ubuntu. It aims to be a lightweight OS with everything the average user
would want out-of-the-box.
The project was started due to my dissatisfaction with OpenSolaris. I found
it slow on my netbook, and although it runs great on my desktop I dislike
IPS. APT is much nicer.
Out of the box it includes:
- Polished Xfce 4 Desktop enviroment
- Abiword word processor
- Gnumeric spreadsheet
- Gimp - GNU Image Manipulation Program
- Rhythmbox Music Player with support for iPod + iTunes sharing and
- Risretto image viewer
- Fast and customizable Firefox 3 web browser
- Easy package management with Synaptic Package Manager and gdebi
- Transmission bittorrent client
- Evince PDF viewer
- File-roller archive manager with Thunar integration
The first release is called "Hardy Hail" or just "Hail" for short.
I welcome feedback on the forums or IRC channel (#stormos on
to post comments)