|| ||David Fetter <david-AT-fetter.org> |
|| ||PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce-AT-postgresql.org> |
|| ||[ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 12 2009 == |
|| ||Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:55:10 -0700|
|| ||Article, Thread
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 12 2009 ==
The Italian PostgreSQL Users Group will present an overview of
PostgreSQL to the students of the IT Department at University of Pisa
on Friday, May 8.
PgDay Florianopolis will be May 22. Contact Dickson S. Guedes (guedes
AT guedesoft DOT net) to participate or submit a paper.
== PostgreSQL Product News ==
py-postgresql 0.8, a cluster of Python technologies for use inside and
outside the PostgreSQL engine, released.
== PostgreSQL 8.4 Feature of the Week ==
psql is now "version-aware", which means that your "backslash"
commands will work even if you connect to an older server version with
== PostgreSQL Tip of the Week ==
The easiest way to eliminate duplicate rows in a table with a missing
natural key is to CREATE TABLE AS ... GROUP BY to a new table,
TRUNCATE, and copy the data back in to the table. And, of course,
replace the natural key!
== PostgreSQL Jobs for April ==
== PostgreSQL Local ==
PgDay Brasilia will be April 17. Contact fernando.ike AT gmail DOT
com or eduardo DOT santos AT planejamento DOT gov DOT br to
Percona Performance Conference will be taking place at the Santa Clara
Convention Center, Santa Clara, California USA
CfP is open for PgDay Sao Paulo, which will be April 24. Contact
marins DOT consultoria AT gmail DOT com or marcelojscosta AT gmail DOT
com to participate.
PostgreSQL Conference, U.S. (JDCon) will be holding a PgDay at
LinuxFest Northwest (April 25/26th). The call for papers is out at
There will also be PgDays on April 29 in Porto Velho, RO and on April
30 in Ji-Parana, RO. Contact Luis Fernando Bueno: proflfbueno AT
gmail DOT com to participate.
Michael Renner will be giving a PostgreSQL replication workshop at
Netways OSDC 2009 on April 29 and 30 in Nuremberg, Germany.
PGCon 2009 will be held 21-22 May 2009, in Ottawa at the University of
Ottawa. It will be preceded by two days of tutorials on 19-20 May
PgDay Florianopolis will be May 22, 2009. Contact Dickson S. Guedes
(guedes AT guedesoft DOT net) to participate or submit a paper.
Save The Date: pgDay San Jose. Sunday, July 19th 2009 immediately
before OSCON. CfP, more info TBA!
PGCon Brazil will be take place October 23-24 2009 at Unicamp in
Campinas, Sao Paulo state.
== PostgreSQL in the News ==
Planet PostgreSQL: http://planet.postgresql.org/
PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter
and Josh Berkus.
Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to firstname.lastname@example.org, German language
to email@example.com, Italian language to firstname.lastname@example.org.
== Applied Patches ==
Heikki Linnakangas committed:
- Rename the new CREATE DATABASE options to set collation and ctype
into LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE, per discussion on pgsql-hackers.
- Tell gettext which codeset to use by calling
bind_textdomain_codeset(). We already did that on Windows, but it's
needed on other platforms too when LC_CTYPE=C. With other locales,
we enforce (or trust) that the codeset of the locale matches the
server encoding so we don't need to bind it explicitly. It should do
no harm in that case either, but I don't have full faith in the PG
encoding -> OS codeset mapping table yet. Per recent discussion on
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/init/postinit.c, oops, mustn't call
textdomain() when compiling without --enable-nls
- Quote string literals correctly in the new CREATE SERVER statements
and binary upgrade UPDATE statements.
Teodor Sigaev committed:
- Fix 'all at one page bug' in picksplit method of R-tree emulation.
Add defense from buggy user-defined picksplit to GiST.
- Fix 'all at one page bug' in picksplit method of R-tree emulation.
Add defense from buggy user-defined picksplit to GiST.
Tom Lane committed:
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/keywords.sgml, correct keywords table for
status of COLLATE vs LC_COLLATE.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/fuzzystrmatch.sgml, document the fact that
fuzzystrmatch doesn't work in multibyte encodings.
- Add an optional parameter to pg_start_backup() that specifies
whether to do the checkpoint in immediate or lazy mode. This is to
address complaints that pg_start_backup() takes a long time even
when there's no need to minimize its I/O consumption.
- In pgsql/contrib/fuzzystrmatch/fuzzystrmatch.c, defend against
non-ASCII letters in fuzzystrmatch code. The functions still don't
behave very sanely for multibyte encodings, but at least they won't
be indexing off the ends of static arrays.
- In pgsql/contrib/pg_freespacemap/pg_freespacemap.c, remove useless
(leftover?) extern declaration.
- Allow leading and trailing spaces around NaN in numeric_in. Sam
Mason, rewritten a bit by Tom Lane.
- Remove psql's ancient hack that suppressed functions taking or
returning cstring from the output of \df. Now that the default
behavior is to exclude all system functions, the de-cluttering
rationale for this behavior seems pretty weak; and it was always
quite confusing/unhelpful if you were actually looking for I/O
functions. (Not to mention if you were looking for encoding
converters or other cases that might take or return cstring.)
- Fix the plpgsql memory leak exhibited in bug #4677. That leak was
introduced by my patch of 2007-01-28 to use per-subtransaction
ExprContexts/EStates: since we re-prepared any expression tree when
the current subtransaction ID changed, we'd accumulate more and more
leaked expression state trees in the outermost subtransaction if the
same function was executed at multiple levels of subtransaction
nesting. To fix, go back to the previous scheme where there was
only one EState per transaction for simple plpgsql expressions. We
really only need an ExprContext per subtransaction, not a whole
EState, so it's possible to keep prepared expression state trees in
the one EState throughout the transaction. This should be more
efficient as well as not leaking memory for cases involving lots of
subtransactions. The added regression test is the case that
inspired the 2007-01-28 patch in the first place, just to make sure
we didn't go backwards. The current memory leak complaint is
unfortunately hard to test for in the regression test framework,
though manual testing shows it's fixed. Although this is a
pre-existing bug, I'm not back-patching because I'd like to see this
method get some field testing first. Consider back-patching if it
gets through 8.4beta unscathed.
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/guc-file.l, treat EOF like \n for
line-counting purposes in ParseConfigFile, per bug #4752. Fujii
- Remove SQL-compatibility function cardinality(). It is not exactly
clear how this ought to behave for multi-dimensional arrays. Per
discussion, not having it at all seems better than having it with
what might prove to be the wrong behavior. We can always add it
later when we have consensus on the correct behavior.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/gin.sgml, update GIN limitations documentation
to match current reality.
- Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2009e: DST law changes
in Argentina/San_Luis, Cuba, Jordan (historical correction only),
Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release.sgml, update release notes through
yesterday; some minor wordsmithing.
- Add cross-references from the DECLARE and FETCH reference pages to
the plpgsql documentation about cursors. Per a suggestion from
- In pgsql/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dumpall.c, fix pg_dumpall so that when
--clean is specified, it drops roles and tablespaces in an order
that has some chance of working. Per a complaint from Kevin Bailey.
This is a pre-existing bug, but given the lack of prior complaints
I'm not sure it's worth back-patching. In most cases failure of the
DROP commands wouldn't be that important anyway. In passing, fix
syntax errors in dumpCreateDB()'s queries for old servers; these
were apparently introduced in recent binary_upgrade patch.
Bruce Momjian committed:
- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/tab-complete.c, adjust psql tab completion for
new \d 'S' flag behavior; adjust code to be more flexible about
additional modifiers for \d commands.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml, add documentation mention of
'check_postgres.pl' in Routine Database Maintenance Tasks section.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml, doc change in new patch,
stand-alone -> standalone.
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample, display
postgresql.conf unit options in an easier-to-understand, 2-column
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample, document in
postgresql.conf that the default units for log_min_duration_statement
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample, properly
align equals signs in new postgresql.conf units comments.
- Add unit documentation for various postgresql.conf settings.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/trigger.sgml, add doc link to section about
how to compile triggers.
- Remove FAQ and FAQ_DEV ASCII and HTML files from CVS; now on the
wiki. Per-language files kept for transator usage.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release.sgml, add release note item: Add
Japanese message translations
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release.sgml, add attribution for: Add
Japanese message translations (Japan PostgreSQL Users Group).
- More GUC units doc updates. Euler Taveira de Oliveira.
- Disable effective_io_concurrency on Solaris because posix_fadvise()
is no-op on that platform.
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c, revert addition of units to
GUC descriptions; doesn't affect postgresql.conf.
- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/tab-complete.c, improve tab completion for
\ef. Andrew (RhodiumToad) Gierth.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/wal.sgml, improve documentation about how
checkpoint spreads I/O activity.
- In pgsql/src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES, no more need to update FAQs.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/monitoring.sgml, clarify documentation
references to pg_stat_get_blocks_fetched and pg_stat_get_blocks_hit,
per suggestion from Robert Haas.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/monitoring.sgml, document how *_blks_read
statistics columns are computed.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release.sgml, clarify SSL _user_
authentication in release notes.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/client-auth.sgml, wording improvement for SSL
user certificate authentication.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/client-auth.sgml, wording improvement.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml, better document libpq sslverify
behavior as requiring root.crt.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml, more wording clarification of
Peter Eisentraut committed:
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/mb/mbutils.c, add entry in the encoding
number to OS name table for KOI8-U.
- XMLATTRIBUTES() should send the attribute values through
map_sql_value_to_xml_value() instead of directly through the data
type output function. This is per SQL standard, and consistent with
- Translation updates for 8.4 beta.
- Update config.guess and config.sub
- In pgsql/src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES, add URL for config.guess/sub
- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/help.c, message improvement.
- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/print.c, message fix (I guess this was a
cruise replace mistake.)
Magnus Hagander committed:
- In pgsql/src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm, support Perl 5.10 and TCL 8.5
in MSVC builds. We should probably have a better way to do this
(meaning something not hardcoded) eventually, but this fixes the
problem for 8.4. Dave Page.
Marc Fournier committed:
- Commit and tag beta1.
Alvaro Herrera committed:
- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/common.c, make string more alike other similar
Andrew Dunstan committed:
- In pgsql/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_backup_archiver.c, fix logic to detect
conflicts or blocks involving exclusive locks in parallel restore
items. If a currently running item needs an exclusive lock on any
item that the candidate items needs any sort of lock on, or vice
versa, then the candidate item is not allowed to run now, and must
wait till later.
== Rejected Patches (for now) ==
No one was disappointed this week :-)
== Pending Patches ==
Pavel Stehule sent in another revision of his transformationHook
Pavel Stehule sent in a patch to add EEEE format support to to_char.
Taro Minowa(Higepon) sent in a patch to auto-delete large objects when
the referencing row is deleted.
Fujii Masao sent in another revision of his new trigger option for
Magnus Hagander sent in a patch to fix path separator issues on
ITAGAKI Takahiro sent in an updated version of the sampling profiler
David Fetter sent in three patches to account for windowing functions
Abhijit Menon-Sen sent in a patch to add tests for quoting and other
abuses in functions.
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
-To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to:
to post comments)