Whatever was needed
Posted Apr 6, 2009 22:04 UTC (Mon) by man_ls
In reply to: Whatever was needed
Parent article: Light and Cheap, Netbooks Are Poised to Reshape PC Industry (New York Times)
Probably OEMs were not even that cunning. It was just that Linux could be made to work in those puny machines; I can imagine that Microsoft tried to sell them Windows Vista or (gasp) CE and the Taiwanese recoiled in pain, so they went to Linux vendors.
True, they got cheap XP licenses this way for 10% of their machines; but they also risked their relationship with the OS of choice for the remaining 90%. Right now they have sweet deals with Microsoft, the machines work well with Linux and everyone is happy. Except us Linux geeks who have seen the best opportunity as of yet come and go.
to post comments)