dot files in Windows and
Posted Mar 25, 2009 23:09 UTC (Wed) by pr1268
In reply to: Wheeler: Fixing Unix/Linux/POSIX Filenames
Parent article: Wheeler: Fixing Unix/Linux/POSIX Filenames
Windows has no problem with files starting with a dot.
Oddly enough, Windows will not allow the name of a directory to end in a dot. I discovered this when, back in my Windows days, I had to name an artist directory R.E.M without a final dot. Windows wouldn't allow me to put that trailing dot in the file name. Go figure. Linux doesn't have any issue with it (and since I've abandoned Windows on my home computers, I was able to rename the directory to include that dot).
Going off on a tangent: here are some files in my music directory which would make Mr. Wheeler cringe:
- Beatles/Help!/01_-_Help!.ogg ('!' in directory and file names)
- Donald_Fagen/The_Nightfly/01_-_I.G.Y..ogg (two dots before the file extension - not really an issue but interesting)
- Sugar_Ray/14:59/ (':' in directory name)
- Coldplay/X&Y/ ('&' in directory name)
- John_Cage/4'33".ogg (single- and double-quotes - never mind that this is a really quiet song :) )
- Radiohead/Hail_To_The_Theif/01_-_2_+_2_=_5_(The_Lukewarm.).ogg (A whole bunch of issues here)
In a digital forensics class the professor had us searching through a filesystem that contained directories named "..." (minus quotes). Good times...
to post comments)