An interesting link
Posted Mar 13, 2009 5:46 UTC (Fri) by qg6te2
In reply to: An interesting link
Parent article: ext4 and data loss
On slide 84 the following idealistic assertion is made:
Perhaps the applications are buggy to people living in ivory towers. The ext3 ordered mode should be the rule as how filesystem should behave, not the exception. Practicality suggests that fixing the underlying filesystem is more time and cost efficient than fixing 100,000 apps.
- data=ordered mode on ext3
- writes data before metadata
- other file systems are different
- ext3 ordered mode is an exception, not the rule
- applications relying on this are not portable and depend on file system behaviour. the applications are buggy.
to post comments)