|| ||Paul Eggleton <bluelightning-AT-bluelightning.org>|
|| ||Development: Opie 1.2.4 released|
|| ||Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:32:11 +0100|
The Opie Project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of version
1.2.4 of the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment, a comprehensive user
environment and application suite for portable devices running Linux.
Version 1.2.4 builds upon the last stable version (1.2.3, released July 2007),
and provides a rich graphical user environment and comprehensive selection of
applications. Applications include personal information management (PIM),
media players for many different audio and video formats, viewers for images
and electronic documents, games and many utilities for file transfer,
connectivity with other computers, etc. As with previous versions, Opie
continues to provide binary compatibility with applications developed for
Trolltech's Qtopia environment.
Opie supports synchronization with desktop computers using Qtopia Desktop, and
more recently OpenSync. OpenSync is a universal synchronisation framework
which is usable through KDE's KitchenSync tool. OpenSync frontends for GNOME
are also in development.
Like most Linux software, Opie is able to run on a wide variety of platforms.
Opie has direct hardware support for Hewlett Packard iPAQ, Sharp Zaurus,
Siemens SIMpad, and Palm devices.
Summary of changes since version 1.2.3:
* Support for exceptions in repeating events in Datebook - allows editing or
deleting one instance of a recurring event
* New storage management applet (cardapplet) with improved safe removal and
support for SD cards and other removable storage devices
* Network Settings: add basic support for configuring WPA/WPA2 encryption
* Security: more flexible display of owner information from the business
card during authentication
* Usability improvements in File manager (AdvancedFM), Bluetooth Manager,
Voice memo recorder (VMemo), Text editor
* Many, many bugfixes and minor improvements
For full details on the changes in this release and previous releases, please
see the Opie change log at http://opie.handhelds.org/docs/changelog .
Source code for all software is available on the Opie website at the following
Binary packages for version 1.2.4 will be provided with the next versions of
Ångström and possibly other Linux distributions.
* Opie, http://opie.handhelds.org
* Ångström, http://www.angstrom-distribution.org - Linux distribution for
embedded devices including PDAs
* KDE, http://kde.org - Desktop environment which includes the KitchenSync
* Trolltech, http://trolltech.com - creators of Qtopia and Qtopia Desktop,
a cross-platform, desktop PIM application
* OpenSync, http://www.opensync.org - a modular synchronization framework
for Linux systems
Paul Eggleton, email@example.com - Opie 1.2.4 Release
to post comments)