|| ||Julius Volz <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|| ||email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|| ||[PATCH RFC 00/24] IPVS: Add first IPv6 support to IPVS|
|| ||Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:15:07 +0200|
|| ||email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
Ok, it might be the time to post these experimental IPv6 patches for IPVS
again to get some comments and help. Since the last time, I've worked on
reducing a lot of unnecessary code duplication, but some is still there
where it was harder to get rid of. Also, we've implemented a genetlink
interface (the first two patches in this series are exactly the v4
version of that) and updated ipvsadm to work with it, so we do not have
to break the existing sockopt userspace interface. Of course, there are
also many other small fixes and changes since the last version.
- Full kernel patch in one file against davem's net-2.6:
While not all IPv6 features are working or tested, existing IPv4 features
should still work as before. However, to use any of the new features, you
will need a new ipvsadm with support for genetlink and IPv6:
(by Vince Busam)
To enable IPv6 support in IPVS, set CONFIG_IP_VS_IPV6=y.
What works with IPv6:
- forwarding mechanisms: NAT, DR, maybe Tunnel (not fully tested yet)
- protocols: TCP, UDP, ESP, AH (last two not tested)
- manipulation and inspection of both IPv4 and IPv6 entries with ipvsadm
- 6 out of 10 schedulers
What is not supported with IPv6:
- handling fragmentation or other extension headers
- FTP application helper (can be loaded, but only operates on v4)
- sync daemon (can be started, but only operates on v4)
- probably some incorrect handling of ICMPv6 or other corner cases
Since fragmentation and extension headers should not occur very often,
things should "mostly" work. I tested HTTP and DNS over NAT and DR
with various supported schedulers without encountering any problems.
But we didn't test any exotic situations. Also, there are some TODOs
in the code for things that haven't been tested or implemented yet.
Thanks for any comments!
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe lvs-devel" in
the body of a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html