"" But, by being able to sell its products at a profit, Red Hat can make contributions back to
the same community that are an order of magnitude larger than it would be able to do if it
were not making money. ""
But why cannot RH do it also for desktop ?... that is sell it for a profit ?...
I bet if RH was willing to sell not RH (something), but a "RH danhah" and or a "RH mmarq",
costumizing the distros for a particular taste and operation environment!..:
* every app translated into the native language...
* extensive template support for commercial and legal documents, in OOo or other, for that
particular costumer country... that is, i would like to have many of those document templates
out of the box already with my organization "timbre" or "stamp" on them, for my country
* extensive template support for other apps in the lines of work desirable
* Art work provided by the costumer or tailor made for a particular organization... that is, i
would like to have wallpapers with my company name and logo, icon sets more familiar, font
packs suitable for graphic works...
* distros with the possibility of FULL optimization, because they are installed from source
code.. that is, a small app that scans the system and generates from online a compiler profile
file with all the settings necessary, so that upon installing, the code gets optimized for a
particular system be it Intel, AMD or VIA...
* Extensive repository available for "free" apps and non "free" apps, a little like Linspire
CNR or Mandriva Club, with Linux natives and or other "commercial" apps,... but much better
because RH could include some high profile "commercial" apps for Windows(R)( i'm thinking of
virtualization possibilities) of which in this late case RH could get a deal with other
software houses (Adobe, PeopleSoft, Sage .. and even maybe MSFT!?...)so that those apps can be
installed from source code and optimized... why not ?
* Partner with google for particular lines of business for best searches upon particular
needs, with browsers filtered and setted up,... partner with online stores from music,
video... VoIP telcos... every possible offer that can could have a desktop app suitable...
even money transfer!...
* Site building with online support, from an extensible pool of templates, with a true
drag&drop, copy&paste online RAD environment, and a good "hosting" for company... very good
for small business... and google would be trilled!...
* Offer online server support for Thin Client deployments... i'm thinking of
http://www.2x.com/applicationserver/, one of the very few server business model that makes
sense to me for SOHO and small enterprise...
* Sell hardware with "things" pre-installed...
Of course all this requires extensive investment and time to get to those levels. But RH could
pull it out with the help of the community so that the investment don't get to be exorbitant.
So what do you think ? ... would i buy a "Vista Ultimate edition" for $300 or a "RH mmarq
edition" for $500 ?...