|| ||"S h i v" <shivakumar.gn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w-AT-public.gmane.org>|
|| ||opensolaris-announce-xZgeD5Kw2fzokhkdeNNY6A-AT-public.gmane.org, distribution-discuss-xZgeD5Kw2fzokhkdeNNY6A-AT-public.gmane.org,
"OpenSolaris Advocacy" <advocacy-discuss-xZgeD5Kw2fzokhkdeNNY6A-AT-public.gmane.org>,
|| ||Belenix 0.7 is available !|
|| ||Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:15:52 +0530|
After a long gap and lots of things happening behind the scenes,
we are pleased to announce the availability of BeleniX 0.7. This
release marks a considerable change in the evolution of BeleniX.
With 0.7, BeleniX is now a source level derivative of Project Indiana.
As such it has most of the Indiana features except for Image
Packaging which is still in the works. V0.7 is installable to the
harddisk and supports ZFS root.
Following are the highlights of the release:
* Re-branded Caiman Installer installs BeleniX to ZFS root.
* The Distro Constructor is adapted as the BeleniX Constructor.
* Fully packaged. All software in BeleniX are delivered via SVR4
packages unlike the previous releases.
* BeleniX now includes the full 64Bit Kernel and libraries. The
LiveCD is still 32Bit, but the 64Bit kernel is booted on 64Bit
CPUs after installation to harddisk.
* Properly integrated and themed KDE 3.5.8. BeleniX now includes
the K Display Manager SMF service which comes up by default
while booting from harddisk. People familiar with the legacy DTlogin
will welcome its ability to drop down to Console Login unlike GDM
and the seamless desktop login (again unlike GDM!).
* Synced up with ON Build 81.
* 0.7 Includes packages from various other OpenSolaris consolidations:
Fully Open X, SFWNV, JDS, NWS, Docs (man pages), Developer
Product Tools etc. BeleniX includes some 650+ software packages
in the LiveCD with more via a separate download.
* Additional software can be downloaded via the /usr/bin/get-pkgs
Please see the Release Notes for more details. This is a temporary
measure till BeleniX migrates to Image Packaging with its own
* The bundled in Gtk-Qt theme engine provides Qt theming support
for GTk apps running under KDE.
* The Firefox form widgets look better thanks to KDEwidgets from
* The BeleniX Development project is now hosted off SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/belenix. The SVN repository hosts
all the SPEC files used to build additional FOSS packages for
BeleniX and sources and packages of all BeleniX tools utilities,
BeleniX Constructor and Branding stuff - check it out.
The Release Notes contain other important info and is a must read:
The belenix 0.7 download information is available at
Overall, we hope this release has a reached a level of usability where you
can actually install and use it as regular desktop environment and enjoy
KDE on OpenSolaris.
This announcement with a few additional points is available at
to post comments)