|| ||"Nitin Gupta" <email@example.com>|
|| ||[ANNOUNCE] Compressed Cache release 0.1|
|| ||Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:22:32 +0530|
|| ||Nitin Gupta <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
I am excited to announce first release of ccache - Compressed RAM
based swap device for Linux (2.6.x kernel).
- Project home: http://code.google.com/p/ccache/
- ccache-0.1: http://ccache.googlecode.com/files/ccache-0.1.tar.bz2
This is RAM based block device which acts as swap disk. Pages swapped
to this device are compressed and stored in memory itself. I think this is
very useful for OLPC systems since it has decent processor but just 256MB
RAM. Also, flash storage suffers from wear-leveling issues, slow writing speeds
- so, its very useful if we can avoid them using as swap device.
It does not require any kernel patching. All components are separate
- Memory allocator (tlsf.ko)
- Compressor (lzo1x_compress.ko)
- Decompressor (lzo1x_decompress.ko)
- Main ccache module (ccache.ko)
(LZO de/compressor is already in mainline but I have included it here
since distros don't ship it by default).
README (or project home) explains compilation and usage in detail.
Some performance numbers for allocator and de/compressor can be found
on project home. Currently it is tested on Linux kernel 2.6.23.x and
2.6.25-rc2 (x86 only) and is very stable. Please mail me/mailing-list any
issues/suggestions you have.
Code reviews/tests on OLPC will be really helpful! :)
Devel mailing list