|| ||Marcus Meissner <meissner-AT-suse.de>|
|| ||[security-announce] SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 has entered Extended Maintenance|
|| ||Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:25:18 +0100|
With the release of a Squid security fix on December 30 2007 we have
entered a new maintenance phase for the SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8
(SLES 8) line of products.
Following product life time changes become active as of now:
1. Extended Maintenance for a SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 subset
Following subset of products have now entered extended maintenance:
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for x86 (Intel 32bit)
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IBM S/390 and IBM zSeries (S/390 31bit)
Using this maintenance extension requires an additional subscription.
The conditions and how-to-buy for the extension are shown in the
following 2 page document:
To migrate your machine to SLES 8 Extended Maintenance, replace in the files:
the line (if present):
(replace i386 by s390 for the the S/390 version).
2. End of Life for the rest of the SLES 8 architectures
Following products have reached End of Life, support for them is
discontinued and no more updates will be published for them:
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for AMD64 (AMD 64bit)
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IPF (Intel Itanium)
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IBM zSeries (IBM zSeries 64bit)
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IBM iSeries and IBM pSeries (IBM PowerPC)
Currently the following additional SUSE Linux Enterprise Server products exist
and are in maintenance (regular / extended maintenance):
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (regular maintenance until July 30th 2009)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (regular maintenance until July 31st 2011)
Please see the product lifecycle page at http://support.novell.com/lifecycle/
for more information.
So lets take a look back at the history of SLES 8...
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 was released end of October 2002, making its
regular maintenance lifetime 5 years.
SLES 8 was based on the UnitedLinux development also done by SUSE which
was a cooperation between SUSE, Caldera, Connectiva and TurboLinux.
The Linux kernel was originally 2.4.19, but was upgraded to 2.4.21 base with
Service Pack 3.
Some statistics regarding our online updates:
Total: 696 (367 active)
Security: 517 (251 active)
Recommended: 156 (104 active)
Optional: 21 ( 12 active)
YAST: 2 ( 0 active)
Top issues (with 5 or more updates):
Working, but not speaking, for the following german company:
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)
to post comments)