|| ||"D Bera" <dbera.web-AT-gmail.com>|
|| ||dashboard-hackers <dashboard-hackers-AT-gnome.org>,
|| ||ANNOUNCE: Beagle 0.3.3|
|| ||Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:50:21 -0500|
I am pleased to announce the release of Beagle 0.3.3. This release
fixes the autostarting of beagle-search in Gnome and includes several
new features like a Qt GUI for beagle settings, viewing current index
information in beagle-search and an lzma-compressed manpage indexer.
THE SHORT OF IT
To download the 0.3.3 release or learn more about Beagle, visit
the Beagle web page:
WHAT IS BEAGLE?
Beagle is a Linux desktop-independent service which transparently and
unobtrusively indexes your data in real-time. For example:
* Files are immediately indexed when they are created, are re-indexed
when they are modified, and are dropped from the index upon deletion.
* E-mails are indexed upon arrival.
* IM conversations are indexed as you chat, a line at a time.
* Web pages are indexed as you view them (with a browser extension).
* Notes and address-book entries are indexed as they are created.
Beagle supports many different data sources and file formats. For a
complete listing, visit:
Beagle uses the Lucene indexing system from the Apache project and the
prodigious Doug Cutting, ported to .NET by George Aroush.
Beagle includes an optional GNOME-based graphical tool for searching
its indexes. Also included is an experimental web based search interface.
To learn more about Beagle, visit:
Beagle now depends on ndesk-dbus 0.5.2 and ndesk-dbus-glib 0.3.0.
NOTABLE CHANGES BETWEEN 0.3.2 and 0.3.3
* Fix several potential crashes in the EvolutionDataServer backend.
* Fix a null reference exception in imlogviewer when no buddy alias is set.
* Fix beagle-search to allow filetype: queries.
* Fix filtering of media files by Totem and MPlayer.
* Fix the URIs in Konqueror web history backend to be of the right
form. Also prevent it from flooding the buffer cache during initial
* Fix autostarting of beagle-search in Gnome (fixes #507786).
* Fix a potential crash in EvolutionMail backend for really large mbox
files (merge patch from Debian).
* Disable building static indexes for all the static indexes (merge
patch from Debian).
* xdgmimecache.c contained a fix for bugs.freedesktop.org #12512 which
is not present in the GTK+ copy. Revert the change that removed the
* Add a view in beagle-search to show the current index information.
* Add a new tile in beagle-search for manpages. Several fixes to the
documentation tile as well. Searching documentation is disabled by
default but can be enabled by passing --search-docs to beagle-search.
* Add an LZMA (7zip) based filter for lzma compressed man pages.
* Prevent beagle log manager from printing the same exception
repeatedly. Instead only print the first line followed by a
"(Repeated)". This will make beagle go easy with the log file size.
* Add a Qt GUI for beagle-settings using Qyoto.
* Add an advanced query syntax "inuri:" to match data with query word
in the uri. The implementation is backend specific and usually
relevent for web history and bookmark backends.
* A partial implementation of "inuri:" for the filesystem backend to
query for files in a particular directory (not recurive). The option
to inuri: could either be a word in the name of the directory or the
file:/// uri of the directory. Live queries (where a new directory is
created that matches the inuri value) are not supported for inuri
queries against the filesystem backend.
* Add a firefox sidebar to the firefox-beagle extension. The sidebar
will allow querying in indexed webpages and bookmarks. The sidebar
requires the web interface to be enabled (for querying from local
* Use Sqlite prepared statements in textcache and file attribute databases.
* Add configure options to control whether to always use the internal
taglib-sharp or an external taglib-sharp. Useful for source based
* Use "--indexing-delay -1" as an option to start beagled in query only mode.
* Add an environment variable BEAGLE_FORCE_GC to do a forceful
collection in beagled (disabled by default).
* Enable system-wide manpage index.
* Port beagle to LINGUAS (fixes #510172).
- Swedish (Daniel Nylander)
- Spanish (Jorge Gonzalez)
- Polish (Wadim Dziedzic)
- Occitan (Yannig Marchegay)
- Hebrew (Rosseta)
- Japanese (Takeshi AIHANA)
- Turkish (Gil Forcada)
- Arabic (Khaled Hosny)
- Italian (Gianvito Cavasoli)
Contributors to this release: Debajyoti Bera, Lukas Lipka, Kevin
Kubasik, Joe Shaw, Nirbheek Chauhan and Enrico Minack.
Full set of changes:
* The EvolutionDataServer backend will leak memory during indexing any
new data. This is due to a bug in the evolution-sharp library and will
be fixed in its next point release.
* Beagled might wake up the CPU even when idle. This is due to certain
limitations in mono.
* Beagled and index-helper might not properly respond to ctrl-c or
sigint (sent to these processes during logout from desktop sessions).
There is no problem if beagle-shutdown is used to terminate beagle or
beagle terminates because the X sessions it was monitoring got
terminated. This is due to the incorrect way in which beagle uses
signal handlers. This will be correctly fixed in the next version
(requires some changes in mono).
* Presence of procmail log files in a user's KMail directory can cause
problems with GMime. This will be fixed in the next version of GMime.
* If beagle is monitoring download directories, specially the download
of p2p clients, then it will continuously re-index the files as they are
downloaded. Download directories should be excluded from indexing using
beagle-config or beagle-settings.
gnome-announce-list mailing list
to post comments)