|| ||David Fetter <david-AT-fetter.org>|
|| ||PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce-AT-postgresql.org>|
|| ||[ANNOUNCE] == Postgres Weekly News - December 23 2007 ==|
|| ||Sun, 23 Dec 2007 17:29:22 -0800|
== Postgres Weekly News - December 23 2007 ==
== Postgres Product News ==
Nagios plugin check_postgres 1.1.0 released.
Npgsql 2 Beta2 released.
phpPgAdmin 4.2 beta 1 released.
ptop 3.6.1 beta 2 released.
== Postgres Jobs for December ==
== Postgres Local ==
PGCon 2008 will be May 20-23 in Ottawa - now accepting proposals.
The BSD and PostgreSQL teams share a developer room at FOSDEM 2008 in
Brussels February 23-34, 2008. If you want to give a talk or help
managing the dev room, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information,
PostgreSQL Conference East '08 talks are March 29 and 30 at the
University of Maryland, College Park.
FISL 9.0 will be happening April 17-19, 2008 at PUCRS in Porto Alegre,
Brazil. Talk proposals are due by January 11, 2008.
== Postgres in the News ==
Planet PostgreSQL: http://www.planetpostgresql.org/
General Bits, Archives and occasional new articles:
Postgres Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter
Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to email@example.com, German language
to firstname.lastname@example.org, Italian language to email@example.com.
== Applied Patches ==
Michael Meskes committed:
- In ecpg, fixed a few minor glitches pointed out by splint.
Magnus Hagander committed:
- Make all msvc build scripts use buildenv.pl, not buildenv.bat.
- In pgsql/src/tools/msvc/clean.bat, remove unnecessary logo output
from msbuild when cleaning ecpg regression test outputs.
- On win32, loop when opening files if sharing- or lock-violation
errors occur. Hopefully, this will make it possible to recover from
broken antivirus and/or backup software that locks our files.
- In pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq/Makefile, libpq needs pgsleep on win32
because of the changes to port/open.c.
Andrew Dunstan committed:
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/oracle_compat.c, fix thinko in
encoding check for chr().
Alvaro Herrera committed:
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml, improve wording re: OOM killer.
Bruce Momjian committed:
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml, update archive_command example to
use || test, rather than if .
- Remove tab in SGML file.
- Update pg_ctl/kill docs.
- Modify pgindent to use an external typedefs file rather than
included list. Remove pgjindent.
- In pgsql/src/tools/find_typedef, update find_typedefs to handle
simple 'typedef X' cases, per request from Tom Lane.
- Remove paragraph about Linux OOM killer and fork(). Instead link to
article about OOM.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml, properly indent SGML paragraph.
Tom Lane committed:
- Some desultory copy-editing on the backup/restore docs.
- Make path_recv() and poly_recv() reject paths/polygons containing no
points. The zero-point case is sensible so far as the data
structure is concerned, so maybe we ought to allow it sometime; but
right now the textual input routines for these types don't allow it,
and it seems that not all the functions for the types are prepared
to cope. Report and patch by Merlin Moncure. Back-patched to 7.4.
- Make archiver process report its progress in PS display. Per
proposal by Simon Riggs, though not exactly his patch.
- When given a nonzero column number, pg_get_indexdef() is only
supposed to print the index key variable or expression for that
column. It was mistakenly printing ASC/DESC/NULLS FIRST/NULLS LAST
decoration too --- and not only for the target column, but all
columns. Someday we should have an option to extract that info (and
the opclass decoration as well) for a single index column ... but
today is not that day. Per bug #3829 and subsequent discussion.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/func.sgml, fix a small typo, per Jan Urbanski.
== Rejected Patches (for now) ==
Gokulakannan Somasun's patch for NULL bitmap optimization on grounds
of lack of evidence for its efficacy and correctness.
== Pending Patches ==
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
-To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to:
to post comments)