|| ||juergen.sp-AT-t-online.de (=?utf-8?q?J=C3=BCrgen_Spitzm=C3=BCller?=)|
LyX User <lyx-users-AT-lists.lyx.org>,
LyX Devel <lyx-devel-AT-lists.lyx.org>|
|| ||[ANNOUNCE] LyX 1.5.3 is released|
|| ||Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:18:44 +0100|
Public release of LyX version 1.5.3
We are pleased to announce the release of LyX 1.5.3. This is a maintenance
release that further improves the stability and the performance. Besides
numerous crashes, the display problems that slipped into 1.5.2 with
the performance fixes (on the Mac and on Windows) as well as problems
entailed to the reworked document classes were fixed. Furthermore, LyX 1.5.3
comes with speed improvements that should pay off especially on the Mac and
other UNIXes. Finally, this version also provides some new features.
A detailed list of changes is appended below.
All users, especially the Mac and Windows users, are encouraged to upgrade
to this version.
The file RELEASE-NOTES lists some remaining known problems.
In case you are wondering what LyX is, here is what
http://www.lyx.org/ has to say on the subject:
LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing
based on the structure of your documents, not their appearance. It
is released under a Free Software / Open Source license.
LyX is for people that write and want their writing to look great,
right out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting
details, 'finger painting' font attributes or futzing around with
page boundaries. You just write. In the background, Prof. Knuth's
legendary TeX typesetting engine makes you look good.
On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output --
or richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced -- looks
like nothing else. Gone are the days of industrially bland .docs,
all looking similarly not-quite-right, yet coming out unpredictably
different on different printer drivers. Gone are the crashes
'eating' your dissertation the evening before going to press.
LyX is stable and fully featured. It is a multi-platform, fully
internationalized application running natively on Unix/Linux, the
Macintosh and modern Windows platforms.
You can download LyX 1.5.3 here (the .bz2 are compressed with bzip2,
which yields smaller files):
and it should propagate shortly to the following mirrors (which will
also host the .bz2 versions):
Prebuilt binaries (rpms for Linux distributions, Mac OS X and Windows
installers) should soon be available at
If you already have the LyX 1.5.2 sources, you may want to apply one
of the following patches instead
Note that this patch will not produce valid LyX/Mac sources, since
some binary files have been added for this release.
If you find what you think is a bug in LyX 1.5.3, you may either
e-mail the LyX developers' mailing list (lyx-devel <at> lists.lyx.org),
or open a bug report at http://bugzilla.lyx.org
If you're having trouble using the new version of LyX, or have a
question, first check out http://www.lyx.org/help/. If you can't find
the answer there, e-mail the LyX users' list (lyx-users <at> lists.lyx.org).
The LyX team.
What's new in version 1.5.3?
* DOCUMENTATION AND LOCALIZATION
- Updated Czech, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese,
Norwegian, Spanish and Traditional Chinese translations of the user
- New Spanish translation of the example file "ItemizeBullets.lyx".
- New French translation of the EmbeddedObjects manual.
- Updated French introduction manual and User's Guide.
- Revised Tutorial
* USER INTERFACE
- The way collapsable insets (footnotes, comments etc) are widened has
seen a complete overhaul in order to speedup painting when typing
within insets. Now these insets take the whole screen width as soon
as they contain more than one row of text. Users of Mac/PPC and of
Unices with slow X11 server should feel a significant boost in
performance thanks to this change.
- The pixmap cache that was introduced in LyX 1.5.2 to improve performance
can now be switched on and off in Preferences, since it might decrease
on-screen display quality of fonts (subpixel hinting). By default, the
cache is disabled. If you experience performance problems, turn in on
(Mac and Windows only).
- The behaviour of Return and M-Return has changed: they now allow to either
keep current paragraph and depth or to nesting paragraph (bug 2445).
- Add the esint font to the private math fonts. This font assures a
consistent on screen looking for all kinds of supported integral signs.
- The slides/foils of presentation classes such as beamer, powerdot, foils
and slides are now displayed in the outliner. This makes it easy to navigate
to specific slides or move them up and down (bug 78).
- It is now possible to enter greek and cyrillic characters and have them
typeset without switching to the proper language.
- Add native Erlang support for listings (bug 4263).
- The on-screen representation of charstyle insets has been polished:
they now integrate better in the line. Furthermore, their label is
not displayed anymore by default (it can be toggled globally by
"View->Open all Insets" and individually by clicking the right mouse
button). As a new type of information, the type of a charstyle inset
is now displayed in the status bar when the mouse hovers over it.
- Inset-dissolve now works in mathed.
- Placeholders have been moved from the miscellaneous to the spacings section
in the math toolbar.
* DOCUMENT INPUT/OUTPUT
- tex2lyx now imports the following LaTeX commands and environments:
- environments "framed" and "shaded" from package framed.sty (i.e. framed
and shaded notes in LyX)
- \selectlanguage, \foreignlanguage, and \inputencoding (bug 27).
- all font settings that are natively supported by LyX.
- all quotation marks (bug 2703).
- xdg-open and sensible-editor are now detected as possible viewer (wrappers).
** Bug fixes:
* DOCUMENT INPUT/OUTPUT
- Fix a crash when exporting a file with a branch from the command line
- Fix a crash when importing an older LyX file (version < 1.5.0) that
contains index entries with escaped umlauts (bug 4333).
- Fix a crash when importing an older LyX file (version < 1.1.6) that used
the "default" language.
- Exit gracefully and give the user some information if LyX catches an
exception from an external program, such as iconv (part of bug 4385).
- Fix LaTeX output of AMS classes when using layouts like Definition but
not using also Theorem (bug 4282).
- Remove obsolete LaTeX preamble code that was set when a document contained
URLs (bug 2265).
- If there exists a local layout file, use the local copy instead of the
- Use package "float" when the default placement for floats is set to
- Fix import of bounding box arguments "natheight", "natwidth", "bbllx",
"bblly", "bburx" and "bbury" (bug 4418).
* USER INTERFACE:
- Fix a crash when using bookmarks in insets (bug 4301).
- Fix a crash when some files or directories are not readable.
- Fix a crash when pasting into a math formula (bug 4318).
- Fix a crash when deleting a row or column of a math matrix while its
content is selected (bug 4323).
- Fix a crash when inserting a label after a math matrix (bug 4334).
- Fix a crash when overwriting a selection that spans multiple paragraphs
- Fix a crash when using the outline-* lfuns within mathed (bug 4330).
- Fix an assertion when entering a math object in a list environment (bug
- Fix a crash when the cursor leaves the first paragraph of the
appendix and it is empty (bug 4352).
- Fix a crash when editing in an inset that contains an horizontal spring
- Fix a crash when pasting text from the clipboard into a multi-line
tabular cell (bug 4368).
- Fix a crash when inserting a file in a tabular cell via
- Fix a crash when using the regex search of the citation dialog (bug 4421).
- Correctly adjust screen fonts after the zoom or dpi settings were changed in
the preferences (Mac and Windows only) (bug 4268).
- Fix updating of externally modified files on Windows both in the workarea
in the output (bug 3172).
- Fix loading of the CJK package in multilingual documents (part of bug 4337).
- Fix a problem on Windows where invalid names were given to backup files
- Fix a bug where the spellchecker didn't update the screen display on the
of several misspelled words (bug 3586).
- Fix a bug where the spellchecker skipped the first misspelled word on a
run (bug 2218).
- If the text of footnotes is in a different language than the main text, it
was not aligned correctly. This is fixed.
- Fix cut and paste of tabular cells via the external clipboard (bug 4147).
- Fix undo in tabulars after pasting via the external clipboard (bug 4371).
- Fix undo in tabulars after inserting a file via Insert->File->Plain Text...
- Fix middle-mouse paste from other apps into LyX (bug 4394).
- Repair wasy font such that it can also be used on Mac (bug 2326).
- Fix color of some math symbols (bug 2330).
- Fix math display problem with binoms (bug 4308).
- Fix problem in conversion of equations to eqnarray (when pressing C-Enter).
- Fix a bug when adding a math formula column.
- Check and show proper error message if configure.py fails (part of bug
- Fix DraftDVI preference settings (Windows only).
- Fix bug where strings containing [[double brackets]] appear in user
- Fix several duplicated keyboard accelerators in the paragraph settings
- Do not close the error dialog on double click (bug 4090).
- Really highlight search text in the find and replace dialog (bug 3999).
- Fix bug that files with non-ascii names are reported as externally modified
- Disallow paragraph breaks in optional arguments (aka short title) (bug
- Fix calculation of row metrics with multibyte characters.
- Allow to set optional arguments to Theorem like environments (bug 4344).
- Make sure that the Chapter* layout appears in outline and naviagtion menu
- Fix problem after cancelling the Insert Plain Text dialog.
- Distinguish translations for 'Note' between layouts and inset.
- Fix highlighting of comments in the LaTeX source view.
- Improve shortcut behaviour in the Print dialog (bug 4345).
- Fix on-screen numbering of mwrep and mwbk classes (bug 4419).
- Fix corrupted character in the User's Guide (including the translations).
- Remove the example file "currency.lyx" and its German translation
"Waehrungen.lyx". The file is obsolete, since LyX allows direct insertion
of currency symbols as of version 1.5.0.
- Remove the German example file "TabellenBeispiel.lyx" and its French
version "ExemplesTableaux.lyx". The files have been obsoleted by the
- Remove wrong description of math space handling from the German tutorial
- Document that the list of recently edited files is lost when
upgrading from LyX 1.4.x.
- Fix installation of the Spanish User's Guide when building with scons.
- Fix configure.py such that all possible extensions for executables are
taken into account when searching for programs (Windows only).
- Make sure that all the files created when compiling are removed by
- Fix build problem on MacOS 10.5.1.
to post comments)