|| ||OS2008: beta version of Modest e-mail client available|
|| ||Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:30:23 +0200|
If you're using OS2008 (Chinook), you might be interested in
the Modest email program (http://modest.garage.maemo.org)
[ Scroll down for the install file (but please read this mail
We've been working on "Modest" for a while now, with great
contributions from Igalia (http://www.igalia.com/news/modest),
Philip Van Hoof (Tinymail), Openismus and others. And while
it's not finished or bugfree yet, you might want to give
it a try. We'll be blogging on Planet Maemo with news and
- the basics: POP/IMAP/SMTP (normal/secure);
- IMAP folders support, and IMAP-IDLE ("push-email")
- easy setup of new accounts
- send and receive of rich text-emails
- managing mail with your fingers
- 100% open-source with a BSD-like license
Some important notes:
- modest will *not* replace the official e-mail program
- it does have the same name/icon in the menus, so don't
- modest uses English, regardless of your settings
- modest works great with Gmail; don't forget to use
'email@example.com' as your username, not just 'user'.
You can find an install file here:
This is for OS2008 (Chinook), and will *not* work on OS2007.
It's bèta release, not for production use, so use at your own
If you do, please let us know what you think of modest. Please
refer to our webpage to see the various communication
channels that are available -- thanks.
The Modest Team.
to post comments)