|| ||Stephan Kulow <coolo-AT-suse.de>|
|| ||[opensuse-announce] Announcing openSUSE 10.3 Beta 1|
|| ||Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:14:52 +0200|
It looks like openSUSE 10.3 Beta 1 won the race against my son,
so I'm glad to announce it to you (I might be able to share the code
name of beta2 later the week :).
Important Changes Since Alpha7
* GNOME 2.19.6
* Revised DVD5 (the DVD is now made up mainly from patterns)
* We're back on 64bit Mozilla for x86_64
* Revised GNOME CD (after a lot of valueable feedback - thanks)
Alpha7 is just a week old, but we've seen 575 package submissions since then.
So we got plenty of features finished, but we will also see an amount of new
bugs with it, so don't be suprised.
A more detailed list of changes is available via
Most Annoying Bugs
* libzypp does not like to have a two yum repositories (we're preparing
an online update to this very problem)
* We noticed too late that iwlwifi didn't make it on the DVDs.
It will be in Factory soon though - and it's on the CDs.
* Registration fails in some cases
* The signature of the Release Notes can't be checked
* GNOME x86_64 ISO is still too big for a CD (you can use a DVD)
* glib keeps flashplayer 100% busy in both konqueror and opera
* Probably many others, we'll keep
Call for Testing
If you want to help testing our standard test cases, please coordinate with
others and subscribe to opensuse-testing
If you want to help with organized testing,
The new HAL version unfortunately missed the deadline and we did not want to
rush it in late. So we're asking everyone to test the HAL update from
after installation and test if his devices are correctly recognized, if your
burn applications behave correctly, etc. Our internal QA will do the same.
Some more information:
* you need to update HAL and PolicyKit from the repo
* be sure that ConsoleKit is running before HAL
What should you test?:
* compare lshal output before the update with output after the update
* check if you get a info on the desktop if you insert a media
(USB-disk/stick, DVD/CD etc), if the volume get mounted correctly and
if you are able to umount/eject the media via the desktop tools
* are you able to mount LUKS media
* are you able to suspend (via KPowersave or g-p-m)
* if you could change the brightness of your laptop panel before the update,
are you able to do the same with the new HAL version
There are some more new features in HAL, but for the moment we need to be
sure that there are no regressions between the HAL version on Beta 1 and the
We'll integrate this into Factory as soon as possible.
Media and Download
openSUSE 10.3 Beta1 for i386, x86-64 and ppc comes as different media
* 1 DVD containing OSS and NonOSS software
* 1 CD with a default KDE installation (not for ppc)
* 1 CD with a default GNOME installation (not for ppc)
* 1 AddOn CD with only NonOSS packages on it
* 1 AddOn CD with language packages that are used for extra
languages (the DVD contains support for english, french, italian, spanish,
german, chinese, japanese, czech, danish, norwegian, khmer,
hungarian, polish) (the DVD has support for installation in all
languages, just extra packages are only on this extra media)
* DVD containing the sources corresponding to the media
We have created Delta ISOs from openSUSE 10.3 Alpha7. Please use them
The DVDs and the source media are only available via bittorrent.
Please report all bugs you find on in our bugzilla as explained in
http://bugs.opensuse.org, discussion is most appropriate on the
email@example.com mailing list.
To download media, please use the links provided at:
http://software.opensuse.org/developer or get the delta ISOs from:
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
To unsubscribe, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional commands, e-mail: email@example.com
to post comments)