|| ||Dan Williams <drw-AT-handhelds.org>|
|| ||Opie 1.2.3 Release Announcement|
|| ||Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:43:10 -0500|
The Opie Project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of version
1.2.3 of the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment, a comprehensive user
environment and application suite for portable devices running Linux.
Version 1.2.3 builds upon the last stable version (1.2.2, released May
2006), and provides a rich graphical user environment and comprehensive
selection of applications. Applications include personal information
management (PIM), media players for many different audio and video formats,
viewers for images and electronic documents, games and many utilities for
file transfer, connectivity with other computers, etc. As with previous
versions, Opie continues to provide binary compatibility with applications
developed for Trolltech's Qtopia environment.
Opie supports synchronization with desktop computers using Qtopia Desktop, and
more recently OpenSync. OpenSync is a universal synchronisation framework
which is usable through KDE's KitchenSync tool. OpenSync frontends for
GNOME are also in development.
Like most Linux software, Opie is able to run on a wide variety of platforms.
Opie has direct hardware support for Hewlett Packard iPAQ, Sharp Zaurus, Yopy,
Siemens SIMpad devices, and now also various Palm handhelds. Opie is provided
in several Linux distributions including Familiar.
Summary of changes since version 1.2.2:
* Added support for the Palm Tungsten T/T2/T3/T5/C/E/E2, LifeDrive, TX, Zire
71/72, Treo 600/650/680/700w/700p/750/755p and Foleo handhelds
* Improved support for some newer iPAQ models using the Linux 2.6 kernel
* Improved HTC Universal handheld support
* Opie-Remote: added integrated remote learning and improved usability
* Many, many bugfixes and minor improvements
For full details on the changes in this release and previous releases, please
see the Opie change log at http://opie.handhelds.org/docs/changelog .
Source code for all software is available on the Opie website at the following
Binary packages for version 1.2.3 will be provided with the next versions of
Familiar and very likely other Linux distributions. For more information about
Familiar, please visit the Familiar homepage (see Links section below).
* Opie Homepage, http://opie.handhelds.org
* Familiar Linux, http://familiar.handhelds.org - Linux distribution for
HP iPAQ handheld PDAs
* KDE, http://kde.org - Desktop environment which includes the KitchenSync
* Trolltech, http://trolltech.com - creators of Qtopia and Qtopia Desktop,
a cross-platform, desktop PIM application
* OpenSync, http://www.opensync.org - a modular synchronization framework
for Linux systems
Dan Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org - Opie 1.2.3 Release Coordinator
For more information on contacting the Opie Team, please visit:
The Familiar Linux Distribution
Familiar mailing list
to post comments)