|| ||Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica-AT-gmail.com>|
|| ||LAA Linux Audio Announce <linux-audio-announce-AT-music.columbia.edu>|
|| ||Release Announcement, Musix GNU+Linux 0.99|
|| ||Mon, 5 Mar 2007 21:16:00 +0100|
A list for linux audio users <linux-audio-user-AT-music.columbia.edu>,
Musix Project is proud to announce the release of Musix GNU+Linux 0.99, a new
version of the 100% Free Software multimedia Operating System for artists and
general users. This is the most stable and user friendly version until now.
Since version 0.79, Musix GNU+Linux is focused on multimedia content creation
and specially on music, that is: music production, audio edition, video
edition, 3D animation, graphic design, image edition, web designâ¦ without
forgetting the usual software for desktopâs PCs.
Hundreds of software packages has been updated to the Debian/Etchâs versions.
New additions include the audio/midi sequencer Muse and the
The most remarkable programs in Musix 0.99 are: Ardour 0.99.3 (audio
sequencer), Rosegarden 1.4.0 (audio/midi sequencer), Cinelerra (video
edition), Bluefish (web design), GIMP (image manipulation), Inkscape
(vectorial graphic design) and Blender3D (3D animation).
System and desktop startup
English and Spanish are 100% supported by Musix from the Live-CD out of the
box, that means: you donât need to install extra software packages to use the
system in english or spanish. Other languages are only partially supported
from the Live-CD out of the box, but we must remark the improvements in
language support, specially German and Portuguese, as well as improvements in
support for Finnish, Polish, Italian, Catalan and French.
The file manager Rox-Filer, supports 22 languages.
Since Musix 0.59, the systemâs startup is 100% graphical. A âsplash screenâ
was added in order to avoid confusing the new users with the less
understandable system messages and the desktop is also started without need
of any user action.
A bug has been fixed: it was not possible to disable the audio hardware
autodetection feature, but now the ânosoundâ switch works correctly (ej.:
musix dma nosound). That can avoid system hangs when trying to load an
incorrect driver at startup.
Since Musix 0.99 we added the Xorgâs video autodetection method as a new âboot
argumentâ (also called âcheatcodeâ): xorgmusix dma
Itâs in testing phase: in some computers this method works really better than
the Knoppixâs one, also you can obtain 2D and 3D video hardware acceleration
without installing or configuring anything.
Since Musix 0.59 the soundcardâs autodetection method was changed because the
hotplug system was replaced by udev, following general trends of all
GNU/Linux distributions. Now the autodetection itâs made by the old alsaconf
script, but reformed to act automaticaly.
If you want to avoid this autodetection method after installing Musix on your
HD, just open a root terminal and type:
So the system will boot faster. To enable it againg, type:
ln -s /bin/sndconf-musix.sh /etc/rcS.d/S50sndconf-musix.sh
Update without re-instalation
Musix 0.99 should be able to update a previous version without reinstalling
the hole system. You can start the Knoppixâs Installer in graphic or text
mode, select the Package-Updater, then mark the packages to be upgraded using
Synaptic and apply the changes.
Musix 0.99 tries to offer the greater possible amount of 100% free software
multimedia applications for creative users who need to express their works in
different multimedia formats.
For instance: nowadays for a music group itâs not sufficient with recording a
song, perhaps the group needs to design a Web site, to film and to publish a
video and to graphically design the cover of his CD or DVD.
Musix itâs a complete artisticâs production factory, apt for the use in
classrooms at educative establishments, in graphical design or recording
studios, in video edition workstations, particular houses, state institutions
or companies of any type.
Upgraded software packages
More than 350 software packages were upgraded from Debian/Etch, lets see just
some of them:
* Rosegarden4: 1.4.0-2
* Jackd: 0.101.1-2
* Gimp: 2.2.13-1
* Abiword: 2.4.5-2
* Konqueror: 3.5.5a.dfsg.1-6
* Icewm: 1.2.28-4
* Xorg: 7.1.0-12
* cinelerra: 2.1.0-2svn20070221
* KDE 3.5.5
New Software Packages
* Inkscape; 0.45-1 (Description: vector-based drawing program)
* SpiralSynthModular (An Object orientated modular softsynth / sequencer /
* gnome-cups-manager (CUPS printer admin tool for GNOME)
* acpi-support (scripts for handling many ACPI events)
* RecordMydesktop y gtk-recordmy-Desktop (Captures audio-video data of a
linux desktop session)
* Muse (Qt-based midi/audio sequencer)
* xjadeo (simple video player with jack sync)
* mencoder (MPlayerâs Movie Encoder
* Kompose (full screen task manager for KDE)
* konq-plugins (plugins for Konqueror, the KDE file/web/doc browser)
* 3ddesktop (âThree-dimensionalâ desktop switcher)
* Kernel 2.6.17-2-multimedia (64studioâs kernel)
* xlibmesa-dri (transitional package for Debian etch, 3D video
* Foobillard (a 3D billiards game using OpenGL)
* Not installed yet into the Live-CD, it needs more testing:
Known problems into Musix 0.99
In some equipments it is possible that the printers cannot be configured
correctly without installing more software packages, thus we created a script
that installs those packages: get-more-print-packages
If you want to install them open a root terminal and type:
* In order to compile software (for example: drivers) itâs necessary to
install development packages that were removedâ¦ open a root terminal and
* Some scripts still exist without translation.
* kanotix-update doesnât works
Recommendations for the download
It is recommended to use a download manager as far as possible, since it helps
to manage recources better. You can use graphical ones like kget or gwget,
or âwget -câ from a text console (terminal).
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre
* CD Donwload: (http://www.musix.org.ar/en/)
* Colabora: http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Musix099_tasks
* Videos, programas y otras cosas en: ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/
* Reporte de errores a:
*IRC: #musix channel on freenode
to post comments)