|| ||Ethan Merritt <sfeam-AT-users.sourceforge.net>|
|| ||[Development] Release Announcement - Gnuplot version 4.2|
|| ||Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:07:00 -0800|
I attach a release announcement for gnuplot version 4.2
Please consider this for mention on the LWN Development page.
The gnuplot development project on SourceForge lives at URL
A nice page of demos using the new gnuplot version lives at
Of particular note in this release is support for screen
display via a new gnuplot terminal type "wxt", based on
the wxWidgets, Cairo, Pango libraries. This gives superb
font rendering and plot anti-aliasing.
Anyone interested in the future directions of gnuplot development
may want to have a look also at upcoming features showcased on
the demo site for the CVS development version
Ethan A Merritt
OFFICIAL RELEASE OF GNUPLOT VERSION 4.2
We are delighted to announce the release of gnuplot version 4.2.
It has been almost 3 years since release of the previous version 4.0, but
we have put this time to good use. Version 4.2 contains a ton of new
features, support for several new output devices, and improved performance
when plotting large data sets. For a complete list of new features, see
the NEWS file that comes with the program.
Major additions include
* Text strings can be read and manipulated as normal data
* New interactive terminal based on wxWidgets, pango and cairo
* New 2D plot styles 'histogram' 'labels' 'image' 'rgbimage'
* New 3D plot styles 'labels' 'vectors' 'image' 'rgbimage'
* User control over color definitions and color use in plots
* Improved font handling and text formatting
* New syntax to handle string variables and string functions
* Creation of animated gif sequences
* Support for UTF-8 and other multi-byte font encodings
* Japanese language documentation and internal help
Demo plots illustrating these and other features are online at
You can download a source tarball for gnuplot version 4.2 from the
gnuplot development site on SourceForge. Pre-built binaries for
selected platforms will appear presently.
Installation instructions are available in the source itself; the short
version for linux/unix-like systems is to unpack the tarball and then
cd gnuplot-4.2.0 ; ./configure ; make
- Installation of the new wxt terminal under OSX and Solaris is problematic
- Plot styles image and rgbimage are marked EXPERIMENTAL; their implementation
is incomplete and may change in future versions of gnuplot
- MSWindows support for mouse/keyboard events is incomplete
Please report all bugs and installation problems to the bug tracker
There is also an active gnuplot discussion forum on usenet group
Gnuplot development is quite active. The development branch (4.3) on
SourceForge contains preliminary implementations of many new features;
feedback and additional contributions of code are very welcome.
to post comments)