Become a better blogger with UNIX (IBM developerWorks)
Posted Oct 13, 2006 7:49 UTC (Fri) by ekj
Parent article: Become a better blogger with UNIX (IBM developerWorks)
This has to rate way up there among the biggest nonsense ever. I've honestly never read worse advice about blogging. A few samples:
- The cardinal rule of blogging is to do it as much as you can.
- Uhm, no. Try again. Quality trumps quantity each and every time.
- The general idea is that your blog should more resemble a scrolling ticker tape, or even the motions of television
- Does *anyone* feel like they want to read a blog written according to this advice ?
- the quickest and most important way to improving your weblog: You must constantly add new content! Even if you start your blog today, you'll have more people reading it by the end of the week if you're updating it a dozen times a day
- Uhm, yeah. No comment really. This is tooooooo stupid.
The rest of the article covers using expect in an extremely cumbersome and errorprone way to upload a single file to a remote ftp-server, something with little particular importance to blogging. And something that is better acomplished with something as simple as "scp index.html myhost:public_html/" anyway.
A good blog requires -- you guessed it -- good writing. That's it. You need to have interesting stuff to write about, and you need to write well. You do not need expect, unix or updates 12 times a day.
to post comments)