|| ||Greg KH <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|| ||email@example.com, Andrew Morton <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|| ||State of the Linux USB Subsystem for 2.6.18-rc6|
|| ||Sat, 9 Sep 2006 01:18:18 -0700|
|| ||email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org|
Here's a summary of the current state of the Linux USB subsystem, as of
If the information in here is incorrect, or anyone knows of any
outstanding issues not listed here, please let me know.
List of outstanding regressions from 2.6.17:
- none known.
List of outstanding regressions from older kernel versions:
- none known.
There are a few outstanding patches waiting for Linus to pull from at:
as per a previous email message to him.
If interested, the list of all currently open USB bugs can be seen at:
Future patches that are currently in my quilt tree (as found at
) for the USB subsystem are as follows. All of these will be submitted
for inclusion into 2.6.19, except as noted:
- USB core reworks to get suspend working better for the USB
core and drivers.
- Initial framework for USB autosuspend (final patches enabling
this are not included as they caused problems on my machines,
they might be reworked and make it into 2.6.19 depending on
the issues involved).
- OHCI changes to avoid root hub polling (this makes
dynamic-tick mechanisms work much better and takes USB off of
the list of the worse offenders of timer ticks in the kernel.)
- helper functions for detecting usb endpoints instead of having
to remember those crazy bit fields all the time. All drivers
are converted to use them, fixing a few bugs in the process.
- some wireless USB infrastructure patches to make the future
wireless driver merge easier.
- __must_check fixes to enable the whole USB subsystem to build
without compiler warnings anymore.
- a number of new drivers:
- aircable bluetoot dongle driver
- adutux driver
- vibrator driver
- moschip 7840 usb-serial driver
- moschip 7720 usb-serial driver (not ready for 2.6.19)
- serqt usb-serial driver (not ready for 2.6.19)
- ability to multi-thread the USB probe process. Probably not
going to go into 2.6.19 as Alan Stern has come up with a
better way to do this. I just need to integrate it into the
tree sometime in the near future.
- other minor bugfixes that are not really critical or too big
to go into 2.6.18 at this period of time.
No new USB driver API changes are pending that I am aware of.
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to email@example.com
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/