|| ||Willie Walker <William.Walker-AT-Sun.COM>|
|| ||Sun, 06 Aug 2006 12:40:11 -0400|
* What is it ?
Orca is a scriptable screen reader for the GNOME desktop for people with
visual impairments. The orca-0.2.8 release is targeted for the GNOME
2.16 Beta 2 (GNOME 2.15.91) release, but also works well on the Ubuntu
6.06 platform with GNOME 2.14.
GREAT NEWS!!!! Orca was recently accepted in to the GNOME 2.16
Thank you everyone for your support!
* What's changed ?
* Many thanks to the team from Baum for their contributions in
improving the support for the Java platform.
* Much improvement in the reliability and availability department.
Thanks very much to community members for helping test Orca and
providing us with constructive feedback and informative bug reports.
These community members include: Joanmarie Diggs, Al Puzzuoli,
Fco. Javier Dorado MartÃnez, and Cody Hurst.
* Improvements to Yelp access.
* Improvements to Firefox 2 chrome. NOTE: we are targeting Firefox 3
as the means for providing compelling access to web content. Interim
releases of both Orca and Firefox 3 will be continually available as
progress continues on this front.
* The main 'orca' executable is now a shell script that launches the
Python process for orca. It includes some utilities to clean up
stray processes and latent support to automatically detect failures
in Orca and restart it if necessary. We will be improving this
script prior to the GNOME 2.16 release. Your testing and feedback
will be helpful!
* Improved support for the emacspeak speech service, including better
ACSS support for DECtalk and overall support for rate/pitch
parameters. Many thanks to Joanmarie Diggs for her contributions to
this space. The community model works!
* Fix for bug 347691: In standard print dialog, printer table items
not always spoken/displayed.
* Fix for bug 345462: Orca should speak changes when moving up a level
* Fix for bug 341371: Orca will not report the file name in file
picker when there is only one file existing in current folder.
* Fix for bug 319738: The child routine() needs to be more careful
about indices out of bounds.
* Fix for bug 319660: Exiting learn mode should display current locus
* Fix for bug 348980: Get braille cursor routing keys working again.
* Fix for bug where window activated and deactivated events can arrive
out of order. Thanks to Baum for this fix!
* Defensive programming in the event that expected object
specializations (e.g., text, component, selection, etc.) don't
exist. Thanks to Baum for this fix!
* Created orca.desktop to add orca to menu items.
* Migrated to LINGUAS model
* Added additional testing and debugging utilities. Also added
additional helper lines to ~/.orca/user-settings.py that make
it more convenient to turn on/off various debugging and testing
* Pychecker fixes and also eliminated circular imports in the python
* Additional keystrokes files for testing. We're ramping up
our regression tests and hope to have a more complete set by
the GNOME 2.16 release.
* Provide smoother handling of the crosswires and cursor in the
magnifier when tracking the mouse.
* New/Updated Translations (Thanks!):
Latvian: Raivis Dejus
Macedonian: Jovan Naumovski
Tino Meinen: Vincent van Adrighem
Gujarati: Ankit Patel
Spanish: Francisco Javier F. Serrador
Greek: Nikos Charonitakis (NEW)
* Where can I get it ?
Will, Mike, Rich, Lynn, and the Orca community
gnome-announce-list mailing list
to post comments)