is a MIDI
sequencer application for Linux that has been under development for
a number of years.
shows the initial project registration on
The project went through a branch/rewrite, the original version was
renamed X11-Rosegarden and the new Qt-based version was named
Rosegarden 4. The current project description states:
Rosegarden is a professional audio and MIDI sequencer, score editor, and general-purpose music composition and editing environment.
Rosegarden is an easy-to-learn, attractive application that runs on Linux, ideal for composers, musicians, music students, and small studio or home recording environments.
explains the capabilities of the software.
Rosegarden features include:
- A matrix editor for working with MIDI note events.
- A notation editor for working with musical scores.
- Musical notation can be exported to
LilyPond for professional quality output.
- Built-in capabilities for sequencing of audio clips.
- An event editor for working with MIDI events.
- Support for graphical editing of MIDI control changes.
- Input from a remote MIDI keyboard, the computer keyboard or a mouse.
- Output to MIDI devices and software synthesizers.
- Support for the
LADSPA audio processor plugin API.
- Support for DSSI-compatible
- Support for ALSA-compatible
MIDI software synthesizers.
- Integration with the JACK Audio Connection Kit and associated tools.
- An integrated audio mixer.
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality.
- Translations available for 14 languages.
Stable version 1.2.4 of Rosegarden
it is a bug-fix release:
"The 1.2.4 release addresses several issues with the prior 1.2.3 feature release. 1.2.4 introduces no new application features.
The latest version of Rosegarden is available for download
it is a good idea to review the minimum
system requirements for hardware selection and supporting
software before installing the software.
If you are looking for a capable MIDI sequencer, give Rosegarden a try.
to post comments)